Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke the starter rope on my 1999 srx 700. Any tips or tricks to make replacement a bit easier? I havent got a chance to take anything apart or do anything yet. The sled is obviously not electric start, or I probably wouldn't have this problem.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
no tricks really, just get a good quality new rope. on your sled, theres a bracket on the right side with about 6 14mm head nuts and bolts that needs to be removed to get the recoil out.
once out, there is a bolt in the center inside that holds the misc pieces together. under the rope pully is a wound spring that may fly out at you, and the pawls should be spring loaded as well. watch for part orientaion and falling parts. at this point its just a matter of getting the rope in the pully and rewinding the spring the correct direction, assuming the other parts are in good shape.

while the recoil is off, check the torque on the bolts that attach the starter ring to the magneto.

good luck. personally i despise working on recoils!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, thanks. I did get it done today, it was a long chore. Don't want to do it again. I did get a snowmobile starter rope, from a dealer. Replacing the starter rope wasnt the hard part, really, it was getting to that point. But its done now, i'm back in business.

·
Live To Ride
194 Posts
Congrats on first time completion! I on the other hand brought it over to my dealer after 3 days of trying to put on the spring. haha..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts