Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother in law has a 2003 RX-1.. He dumped it in crick first day he drove.. Got all water out and its running.. He has been using it for about 4 weeks... When you go to start it, you turn key and nothing happens, after turning key for awhile it starts to click, clicks for awhile then eventually turns over and starts. And will start rest of day unless sitting for more then 2 hours or so... I am pretty sure its moisture in starter that is freezing over night or over time and with playing with it it eventually loosens or melts so it starts. What my question is, is there a relay or fuse or anything else on a rx-1 that could cause this? Also if he parks it on a ride and starter goes out completely is there a way to start it without key, like wrapping rope on primary? I'm a 2-stroke cat guy and dont know much about the million and 3 parts on this 4-stroke....

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
there is a starter relay with a fuse attached to the battery box. there should also be an ignition fuse in the fuse block located on the right side of the machine.

you should be able to make yourself a jumper for the relay. may come in handy. find the relay, there should be a plug connector with three wires?. unplug the connector and see what color wires go to it. off the cuff, i think if you jump a wire from the negative battery to the blue and jump the positive to the red, the starter should spin. hard to say without the unit in front of me.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
not eliminating, but bypassing, for emergency purposes and troubleshooting.

same theory as jumping a solenoid on an old ford or laying a screwdriver across the terminals of a chevy starter solenoid. only problem is yamaha didnt make it as easy, you will need a couple lengths of wire suitable to hit the battery and insert into the plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts