Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have an extra #80 pilot jet for the SS440?

first time i have seen one rot in place. second filthiest set of carbs this week and quite the endeavor to extract the other end.

let me know if you have an extra available. thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
honestly i think i just got lucky. the pilot unscrewed, just the portion past the threads was left inside the carb. you know how you loosen a pilot and then turn the carb over so it falls in your hand? only half came out.

after some soaking in whats left of the best carb cleaner ever, i was able to use a small pick with sort of an "S" on the end to coax it out.

anyone else ever seen a brass jet deteriorate inside the carb? its past the part that could have been overtightened and its quite corroded where the tube portion starts.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
wow, that was lucky. The carb I ruined had a similar issue, but would NOT come out, and I buggered it up near the head. Tried the drill method, bad idea ;) That is one reason I do yearly maintenance on the carbs, to make sure the corrosion doesn't get a foothold!

How's your snow doing up there??

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i imagine our snow is about like yours. 38* and rain at 5800 ft. glad i stayed in this weekend. snow layers are going to make for one helluva avy season.

yamaha used to have available a carb cleaner that you mixed 3:1 gas to cleaner. i havent a clue as to what was in it but it sure works. unfortunately, its no longer available. i blame epa regs on that. i searched the country a couple years ago and got the last bottle i could find from a marine dealer back east. if you ever go near an older or slower yamaha shop, stop in and see if there happens to be any carry over. black plastic bottle. read the directions, if it says mix with gas, buy it and send it to me.

this stuff worked so good you could mix a small batch, pour it into the carb via the fuel line, fire up whatever you put it in, bike, sled, atv, lawnmower, etc just long enough to suck it into the carbs, refill the bowls and just let it sit. shake the machine once in awhile to agitate. walk away, drain the bowls after a few hours or overnight, and bam, clean carbs! done from the inside out! the crap that came out of the bowls was amazing when drained. worked about 85% of the time. the really bad carbs still needed the extra touches.

unfortunately, there are no contents on the label and i have yet to find an msds for it. i just use it sparingly now for stubborn situations. small batches for extremely dirty parts.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
I'm betting the contents would scare you too much if they listed 'em ;) We do have a Yamaha dealer here (bikes, not sleds). I'll stop on by and see if they have that stuff.

Next week is the OSSA convention up in Joseph, I was thinking of heading that way for the week to ride, but dang.. don't want to drive 500 miles to watch the rain come down!

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that would be great if they did. the new stuff mixes with water. stay away from that one. its a joke. took me the longest time to get my brain to let me soak parts in a water solution. was not impressed.

bring your sleds. supposed to be a cooling trend early this week and back to snow later in the week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts