Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy either and I was wondering what one is faster in a straight line drag race and what are the top speeds of them. Both Stock. Then I am looking at a ZR900 and I was wondering how it fare with these to sleds

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
Yam vs. Art

I had a friend that had an artic cat and was constantly breaking down. I know more riders with Yamaha's and say they just could be the most dependable sled out there. I have a Yamaha and had nothing but dependability. Stick with Yamaha would be my bet.:)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
i would agree with snorida... i had a ZL 550 last year, and the thing was a good sled WHEN it started, the thing wouldnt start in negative temps... and the guy said all artic cats are like that..., and my dad and my bros yamaha's started on the dime... so this year i am into yamaha and its the best sled ive ever had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would concur, I have had yamahas my whole life and have never had major depedability issues. I grew up with a 75 338 GP and could not kill that thing. My Phazer to this day will start on the second pull and my two 700's have not had any major issues with starting and running. The only problems I ever had were rare and minor with the 700sx:

I bought it used and it was improperly stored that summer. It started alright in the warm month of September, but once the below zero weather rolled in, the carbs were varnished and it would not start. After cleaning out the carbs it ran great and 5 years later still runs strong to this day without another starting issue.

The TORS needed adjustment after I rolled the sled on a lake. I bypassed it, and probably will never hook it up again. I had issues with fine snow on very cold days getting in through the vents and making it think the throttle was freezing open. (Yamaha addressed that issue when they came out with the heated carbs.)

The only other problem I've had is after 4,500 miles on the 700 sx, the shocks have faded and need to be rebuilt and a couple of the inner bogie wheels have worn off the rubber tread.

The only maintenance I ever do is change the spark plugs once a year, greese the zerks a couple times a season, put a new belt in when the old one is worn, and change the chain case oil once in a great while. My background is not in mechanics and I very much appreciate the logevity and dependability of Yamahas!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The AC's blow up and the SRX suspensions suck. Which is the lesser of the two evils? Do you want a good trail sled or a good lake sled? They are really totally different types of sleds. I have seen alot of engine failures in the srx's but usually due to the rider having performance work done and not knowing how to adjust for temp. changes etc. The W arms also break constantly but if you lake ride then this is not a problem. A SRX with a long travel kit from Maxximum Performance would be a good set up, and more reliable than a CAT but the F7 will still kill it in the trails (while it is running).

·
Registered
170 Posts
YamahaRyy said:
the thing wouldnt start in negative temps... and the guy said all artic cats are like that...,
Who is "this guy"?? Seems kinda stupid for a company to build a snowmobile that doesn't start in neg temps doesn't it?

If this guy was the dealer, find a new dealer cause he don't know squat!!

If it was a carb motor, most likely your choke was out of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
well from my experience they blow in thows temps

·
Registered
7 Posts
the f7 is a bad ass sled but so is the srx they bolth are very fast but the firecat is lighter and its a twin and it keeps up wit most 800s. i saw an f7 smoke a pro x 800. but if u want to get the srx think about it like this

triple the torqe.... triple the weight ....triple the work.

so i say u get the f7 plus it is a great trail sled. but i realy think u should get a rev lol but thats just me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts