Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have an87 sprint 340. I want to mess with some driven clutch settings but I see no exposed spring or anything. How would I get at the spring and is there any adjustment on it? Like putting it in a different hole?
I never messed with a sled that doesn't have a chain.

·
Runnin Against The Wind!
8,036 Posts
smallengineguy should help you with this one. Wait for his reply.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snopro? is that someone on this forum?

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
you could probly just take the cover off the clutch while it is on the sled, the will be about 6 or more bolts on it. loosen equaly and keep the cover compressed as you remove. it will pop off so be carefull.

polaris reccomends a gold spring.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
the more you wynd it, the higher the wide open rpm will be. each slot forward will give you 100 rpm. and vice versa in the other direction. wynd it one forward to get a little more response.

to get to your spring you will need a snap ring plisers. on the back of the clutch you will see this spring holding the helix, you must compress the helix down into the clutch and remove the snap ring.

to make a compressor buy a piece of ready rod, then weld it to a base plate and bolt that to a bench, then find a piece of channel iron and drill a hole in it. the channel iron will compress the spring as you tighten down and take the pressure off the snap ring for easy removal. I made on for my team clutch and it works asome.

bobo :D

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello SnoPro.
I understand secondary clutch spring tension and such(except the 100 rpm per hole, wasn't sure on the changes).
I just never saw a clutch like this.
Like I said before, there is no chain on this model. The clutch is directly connected to the driveshaft. I don't even see the spring. The helix and spring seem to be enclosed. The Polaris site doesnt show an exploded view nor do my service manuals. It looks like all I can do is to remove it and examine the innards. I kinda think its "solid state" and has no adjustments. What I am attempting to do is raise the engagment on the primary which is simple enough to do. Maybe 300 to 500 rpm. Raise the rpm throughout the operating range which would be tightening the seconary spring(maybe 500rpm). Its just a very strange looking secondary clutch. I bet only the Sprint has such a clutch. Thanks

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for that website. That was exactly what I was looking for.
I guess it is a normal clutch after all.
So a gold spring is what polaris recommends for the primary?
What is stock on this model. What would the gold one do for me?
I want to make this thing a little more fun to ride and I know I can do this all with clutching. Everything is stock now...

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
brown is stock, gold will up the ingagement a little bit. gold has a ingage of 100 and a shift 275. your stock has a engauge of 69 and a shift of 212. this should give you what you want, A little more than what you have now?

if you want more get a blue primary.

http://www.hiperf.com/

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you think this motor can handle a blue spring? Yes I would like more but I have no Idea of the rpm range and horsepower of this motor. It does seem stronger at higher rpms. It has no tach so I dont know what its spinning. I have a nice multimeter with a rpm setting that will work but I didn't want to do this because I am sure the meter is worth more then the sled. I can see it falling of and getting run over.
Tell me what I can do with clutching on a 1987 polaris sprint340, 2 32mm carbs I believe and(the weirdest)no chain. I just want this thing to be fun. Do you know the HP specs on this thing?
Thanks

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
you can get a tiny tach they are 50 bucks and read out digitaly.

as for the blue spring it should work fine . advance the secondary one spot back. gold or blue

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was just on the site you posted and it says a gold is stock for a sprint. Is blue going to even make a noticable differance?
How about a black/white?140 320?

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After more reading, I'll go with the blue.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
good deal, the spring I have in my sled is a cat black 158 290 so the b/w would be a little harsh for you.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mines an 87. I ended up buying a dark blue/white. I put it in and couldn't really test it out because of no snow. I does engage a lot higher. I didn't change the 2ndary spring. I need to test it like it is now. Cant wait to try. also I forgot to hook up my multimeter to see the engagement rpm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts