Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 82 yamaha SS 440 i just bought a few weeks ago, and I am having trubles with it and cant pinpoint the problem. What it did the first time i rode it is I had it toped out at 80 mph and it seemed to be sputering like it had the ableity to go faster, I dont know what the top speed is suppose to be on them but i thought it would be a little faster. After that i put it away and two weeks later got it out and it toped out at 60 mph and seems to be geting worse every day and now even has problems acelerating from a stop (almost like it is flooding). I have already cleand the carb, put new plugs in it, checked the spark which seems to be low with new plugs and disconected the kill switch becouse my friend complained it had shocked him. i dont think it is fuel related but i dont know much. thank you for your input.

Dan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok here is what i found, i changed the cdi box and fuel pump and nohing changed. It stalls when taking off from a stand still and still tops out at 50-60. Please give me input it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
check the belt and the clutches. this may have something to do with it. the belt should sit flush with the top of the secondary clutch plates when it is not moving. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just checked the belt it seems to be ok. Im acually wondering if it is fuel or a weak cluch spring. Not to sure yet. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2 Posts
ss 440 trouble

just checked the belt it seems to be ok. Im acually wondering if it is fuel or a weak cluch spring. Not to sure yet. thanks for the reply
from sitting I'm sure primary clutch is sticking and getting hung up on you and possibly secondary too as person above me replied.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Start with cleaning the clutches and blow them out real good! Then a new belt!
Then check your center to centers! The belt may be worn as well as the clutches may be too close together?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts