Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 zl440. The thing was running great did 60 miles yesterday no problem. Started it today ran great, got it stuck and dug it out then it died. Now I have to start it by pulling the throttle and it cuts in and out. If I let off the throttle it dies. Took out the plugs and checked for spark. When I turn it over while pulling on the throttle there is a spark. When I dont pull on the throttle there is no spark. Im not sure if it is the electrical element that the spark plug cords go into or not? Any help would be great. We have a ton of snow and I cant wait to get back out and go. Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Is the throttle override system still connected?
In case you dont know, its the wires that go to the carbs. On that machine you should be able to simply unplug them to disable the system. If you find that fixes the problem you can either leave them unplugged or fix the problem that is causing the system to kill the spark, typically a little white bushing at the throttle pivot.

·
Registered
521 Posts
No just pull the plugs out and check for spark! With them unplugged you can't kill the engine!
Is the 1998 ZL440 wired differently than the 1998 ZL500?
I disconnected the carb wires on my 98 ZL500 and the kill switch still functions.

·
Registered
711 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is the 1998 ZL440 wired differently than the 1998 ZL500?
I disconnected the carb wires on my 98 ZL500 and the kill switch still functions.
Both are open systems. There are a couple of different ways to bypass the TSS and still have your kill switch work, but the kill switch goes bad just as often as the TSS so IMO, bypass both of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FIXED! Thanks for all the help! I ended up trying to jump it like the guy in the video..... Did not end up needed to go through all that. I merely needed to unplug the throttle safety/kill switch cable. Thanks again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
FIXED! Thanks for all the help! I ended up trying to jump it like the guy in the video..... Did not end up needed to go through all that. I merely needed to unplug the throttle safety/kill switch cable. Thanks again.
I say at the end of the video (I probably should have said it in the beginning) that for a 1998 and newer sled you just have to unplug it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.