Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the "SP" notation mean with Polaris? Is there a 98 XC 700 and XC 700 SP?
What is the differences
What is the comparison of this sled to a 98 MXZ 670?

·
Registered
183 Posts
XC 700 SP was a later model, 1998 XC-700 is still a very fast machine. Guys were putting the 98 cylindres on thier 99's because of better porting and compression with the 98's. Both machines are very simular in handling and power. shane

·
Registered
189 Posts
I believe the SP denotes "Special" I think I read it somewhere, but can't remember where...

·
Registered
323 Posts
the XC SP models came out in 99 i believe and the only difference is the shocks. The XC SP models came with fox shocks all around and the XC came with fox shocks on the front and ryde afx on the rear

·
Registered
125 Posts
The SP In the polaris lineup stands for SPORT. It's not a trail, or classic, or luxury or pro....it's a sport sled, hence the xc "SP".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would have to agree with "gman250" my brother-in-law owns two 1996 ultras and only one is a "SP" and the only difference is the SP has fox shocks all the way around. Dont most specials seem to have something "special" with its suspension or engine?

·
Registered
155 Posts
"SP" goes back to 1989. It stands for Special. The specials were limited production Indy's that included gas shocks and stiffer springs as well has a few other beefed up suspension componenets. It was developed for cross country racing and was developed by Polaris with help from Jack Struthers. It is used today to indicate an upgraded suspension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts