Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son pulls up to the house and parks the sled last nite (98 Puma 340). Everything seemed fine for a little ride today except it just wont budge after a good engine warmup. I've checked the track and I can get enough play back and forth to see that it's not stuck. I grab the secondary and it's jammed tight like seized up.

I'm guessing it's in the chain case?? Have never had this happen before.

Can it possibly be the brake? My son didnt even use it, really.

The sled was just given to me by a friend that probably didnt check the oil level in the chaincase. Is it possible for the sled to be parked and have this happen? Strange.

Thanx

Ryp

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Should be easy to tell if it's the brake (you should be able to see the pads move). Might have seized a chaincase bearing. Does the secondary move at all?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Secondary feels like it's "welded" tight.

I loosened the two mounting bolts on the caliper assm to free up anything....and it didnt help any.

You could be right on the bearing guess....I'll keep that in mind on the teardown.

Thnx!

Ryp

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Will the track budge either way at all? Sounds like the top bearing in the chaincase seized. A LOT easier than the bottom to replace....:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can budge the track back and forth as far as slack will allow....an inch maybe...so the bottom doesnt seem to be effected.

I've torn into chaincases for the track drive sprockets in older models but not ever a bearing. What is involved?

Ryp

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Take the cover off the case, remove the top sprocket and chain. That'll let you see the bearing. You'll probably have to remove the secondary to get the shaft out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out it was the brakes. A pad had evidently worn thin enough to squeek out of the pocket and jam itself against the rotor.

Whew.

Hey, thanx for your time and thoughts...it's appreciated!

Ryp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts