Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at all the warning stickers on the sled, and spent several hours one this site. No where does anyone say anything about catching a disease from riding sleds. Not one word! It's shameful, downright shameful. There I was, happy to have another variant of this disease related to tractors and motorbikes. Not one single person warned me that I could catch ANOTHER strain! Now I find myself searching for the next project sled, in addition to the next project tractor, atv, dirt bike etc. I think I may have ingested some 2 stroke oil or something! I've got maybe 25 miles total on the old sled and it seems my case may be terminal!
So now I'm going to start a few new support groups. I'll call the one for snowmobiles "sledaholics anonymous" or something. We meet as often as possible, in the shop. Bring beer if you can. And the worst part is, I'm pretty sure son caught it too...

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Great pic! My kids gave up for some reason and miss out on alot of knowledge.

I used to have a warning decal on the back of my enclosed that read something like" Warning: Opening this door unleashes an infectious disease" or something to that effect. Too bad it was cheap and curled off after a season. (Damn thing left its residue behind)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan, you'll notice I said support group. Nothing about a cure was mentioned.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I too got hooked, 90 mi in on my old sled im looking at a zl600 in near future or a mxz. Heck maybe both if i cant settle on one.

Question, how do you manage with the wife if you have one? Get rid of her or will she eventually go numb to it, lose count of how many, etc. Haha

·
Registered
255 Posts
Buy them all the same kind and color, the wife won't ever know the difference! :D

(it works for pistols...)
I'm not sure on that one Dan. Friend of mine once told me "My wife may not know a shotgun from a pistol, but she can count".

My method is finding new hiding places. Lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I only have 3 (so far)...I was tempted to buy at least one more so I could have at least 2 running at one time. However, I have become a bit better at working on them, so I am glad I stopped at 3, I have 2 running perfectly now and the 3rd one is very close.

Now for some nice, deep powder next year and I will be rockin'!

Besides, my favorite sled, the '98 ZL500 Cat is plenty of sled for me. It pulls the front end off the ground if I want to go fast, starts 2nd pull every time and handles like a dream on the fairly tight trails where I ride.

Plus, there's the fact that one can only ride one sled at a time!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know what you mean, but I think it's better for people who like to wrench and ride, at least financially. People who hate to wrench but love to ride often dump thousands every year buying the newest sled, upgrading their sled, or fixing the problems that arise. It's hard to blow that much money on older sleds working on it yourself, unless maybe you're constantly wrecking (then it's probably your medical bills and health insurance that will get you).

I got started when a friend gave us a beat up old mix-and-match Indy fan. My RMK is my main sled, and I'm always tinkering on something with it; seems like all the mountain riders around here wouldn't be caught dead on something more than five years old, but I love tweaking and tricking stuff out and still have plenty of fun with it eight years after I bought it. I just enjoy seeing what I can do with older stuff and some backyard engineering; anyone with a decent job can drop $15k on a new sled, but those bragging rights don't last long! Which is why I like sticking to what I have and can work on easily (most of the time), plus the EDGE still looks so much prettier than anything that's come along since. I'm also working on modding out my old trail sled (going slowly, but it will see snow some day!). I'm pretty good about not picking up too many projects, although I'm sure it'd be a lot worse if there were more sleds and more "can't afford not to" bargains around. I do have a total of five chassis sitting around in one form or another, but two of those will be scrapped once I'm done parting them.

Anyway, as my old neighbor back in WA used to say, keeps you out of the bars!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree. I have simple needs and don't want to go into debt just to ride a snowmobile or impress people. It gives me great pleasure to have my Dad's (RIP) old '78 Yamaha Enticer running well again. He bought it at a Forest Service auction here in Priest Lake Idaho in the late 90's for $150 and it has been amazingly reliable. It has no odometer so I have no idea of the mileage, but it has excellent compression and my Dad and I have not ridden it much, so probably less than 2k on the original engines and all running gear.

Funny that you should mention an RMK since a late '99-03 model is exactly what I have been thinking of for another ride. I can get a good used one for around 2k. So who knows. Going to see how it goes with the 3 I have first.

I was pondering a newer 4 stroke due to all the mechanical problems I have been having (mainly due to lack of know-how and maintenance)....however upon further research, even if I were to pull the trigger on a newer sled, it would be a 2-stroke and likely a Polaris.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I agree. I have simple needs and don't want to go into debt just to ride a snowmobile or impress people. It gives me great pleasure to have my Dad's (RIP) old '78 Yamaha Enticer running well again. He bought it at a Forest Service auction here in Priest Lake Idaho in the late 90's for $150 and it has been amazingly reliable. It has no odometer so I have no idea of the mileage, but it has excellent compression and my Dad and I have not ridden it much, so probably less than 2k on the original engines and all running gear.

Funny that you should mention an RMK since a late '99-03 model is exactly what I have been thinking of for another ride. I can get a good used one for around 2k. So who knows. Going to see how it goes with the 3 I have first.

I was pondering a newer 4 stroke due to all the mechanical problems I have been having (mainly due to lack of know-how and maintenance)....however upon further research, even if I were to pull the trigger on a newer sled, it would be a 2-stroke and likely a Polaris.
Those Gen II RMKs are decent sleds (I hear – haven't personally ridden one), and the prices are dirt cheap from what I see. The EDGE RMKs (02-05) only bring a couple hundred more, and a no-brainer if you find a good one. Even the IQ sleds are pushing into the bargain range, although they seem to be less robust all around. The engine I'd look for is a 600. I've had no issues with my motor, it looks nearly new inside even with 4000 miles, and the carbed 600 seems to be Polaris's longest-lasting motor. If sheer longevity is the main concern, I'd guess the liquid Fuji 500 is still the winner, but the 600 comes close. Unfortunately, the 550 fan seems to be a problem child. I've heard good things about the 700s too; the 800s seem to have too much power for the bottom end. The only potential downside to sleds this old, besides neglect, is that upgrades (even decent shocks) can be hard to find. They're out there though. You can buy and build up a Gen II or EDGE for pretty much any kind of riding for less than $3k; finding the pieces at the right price is not for the impatient, however!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts