Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone im new to sleds...ive worked on motocross and atvs all my life but never a sled...i have a suspension ? for ya. i have a 1998 polaris xc 700 with the xtra 10... last winter it felt like i didnt have ANY SUSPENSION... it was hard as rock and when i lifted the back of the sled it gave out about 3 inches of travel...this year i have it a little better where i have about 3 inches of travel when im pushing down on it but when i lift i get another 2 inches...i kno my sled has to have more travel then this..ive heard it has around 9 inches and this thing kills ont eh trails.... its got the long track if that matters...SOMEONE PLZ HELP!! how do i adjust it and what do i need to adjust>??

·
Mountain M0DERAT0R
7,469 Posts
first: welcome to the forums

second: i have the xtra 10 on my sled, and the only rear suspension adjustment ive made is the adjustment of my coilover. i adjusted it so my rear end sat up higher. all i did was take the "wrench" and turned it to what height i wanted. im not sure how much more travel i got, i never measured it. the reason why i did it was to put more force on the front skis for turning.

i also found this for ya:

The XTRA-1 0 rear suspension uses a Ryde FX shock and a Ryde AFX shock and delivers 10.2 inches of travel. The 700 XC's ride benefits from the chaincase location (further back and lower than usual), which gives the sled a low center of gravity, as does the Aggressive seat. Lightweight heat exchangers are located under the tunnel for excellent cooling and act as wear strips for the tunnel; there are no heat exchangers under the running boards. The new track has .91 -inch lugs.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about limiter straps and everything? any clue how to get the springs out for replacement? i have never worked on a track system... so i know NO names or parts or anythign lol.

·
Registered
711 Posts
OK, your 98, which you know, has xtra 10 suspension. The reason yours is sagging as you just let it sit with no weight is because your springs are worn out. To replace (at 50 bucks each) you must remove the two rear suspension bolts that bolt to your tunnel. Then your boggie wheels will slip off and those springs are held on buy a set screw (you will see what i mean) slide old springs off and new ones on. By now the so called adjustable shock is probably wearing out as well. If you have an XC SP you have fox shocks (rebuildable) if you have a reagular XC you have the regular shock that has a adjustment screw for adjusting the stiffness. I have one on my RMK and i think they are worthless. However i think they also can be removed and rebuilt or purchased for less then a fox shock will cost.

Your main problem is your springs however. Replace them and adjust the block of plastic that they sit on and in doing so your ride will be cushy or stiff. The extra 10 isnt bad. I think this will help a lot. also try the medium position for the springs, i think it is a happy medium.

o, one more thing, when you take those bolts out have a way to hold by the rear bumper the sled. I hang a tie down strap from the ceiling in my garage to keep the sled sitting normal, then once the bolts are out, you can lift the rear higher to get at the bolts. you can prop the track out of the way as well. then after the springs, you can do the whole process in reverse.

good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright im getting the new springs and might as well go with as well go with a new shock..thanks for all your help!!! im an idiot when it comes to sleds lol... i felt bad asking so many ?'s but i guess gotta learn sometime... thanks alot!

·
"It's Only Money"
310 Posts
m/c 125, don't worry about. That's how they learned what they know. Asking questions. It's better to ask and learn than be too proud and jack something up. Been there and done that. I had a 98 XC 700 that was wicked fast, but rode terrible. The rear kicked something fierce. I softened it up as much as I could and it still pounded me. My new XC 600 should be a lot better in the mogals. Great sled tough; hated to get rid of it. Cheers. OB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey guys just to keep you up to date.. i have new springs put in and got a cheapy shock... this one doesnt have a the screw to adjust with but it works. i took out the rear scissor blocks that someone told me to do and i have WAY more travel now.. maybe 6 inchs and alot better play, the spring tosion is on high. how much differance would it be to go to med or low? any more travel come out of it? i just have one more stupid ? for ya... ok i kno this is very sad but can someone explain how the xtra 10 suspension works.... so i have it down to the front sissor blocks NEED to be there so the rear suspension doesnt collapse forward.. the rear blocks can be mover in differant settings and differant holes or even removed. the springs are for??? is it for rebounding the suspension to the ride height again?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts