Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an 87' Excel 3. Nice sled and it runs pretty good, but has a few minor issues.

1: tach not working
2: elec start not working

How can I get these things working again? What or how should I diagnos?

A third problem we had but it now seems to have rectified itself was the headlamp. At first it barely would come on at all, then it was ghost lighting, then on off on off on off constantly, but now it seems to be working all the time, weird, I wonder whats going on there?

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
for the tach not working, rule out the easy parts by unhooking the cable at the engine. rotate the cable inside the housing and watch for movement at the tach. if you see movement, cable and tach are good. no movement, could be the cable. worst case is the drive gear attached at the engine that drives the cable.

for the electric start, could be alot of things. wires, relay, starter motor, connections, etc. you should be able to hook a hot lead from a known good battery or charger directly to the positive lug on the starter and touch the ground to the starter body. a good starter will spin. work your way out from there.

for the mystery headlight issue, could be that theres a bad wire somewhere or the electrical system had some corrosion and just running the sled made enough contact finally to add full power.

depending on location and maintenace, corrosion on the electrical connections and components is likely a contributing factor. key on the ground wires. they will be the all black wires anywhere in the wiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts