Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No surprise, SnowTrax sled of the year is a Polaris...but which one? The VR1 650

Not sure how much influence the fact that Polaris and Yamaha are the only two sponsoring them this year. BRP and Cat both pulled out.

They swear that sponsorship does not influence their choices, but if you look at all the past accessory and lubricant Ads verses how much they loved that brand, it tends to switch with the money...

·
Super Moderator
18,297 Posts
But what's not to like? An all new 650 engine with 140 HP on a new chassis.

If I were writing a magazine that was accepting advertising, I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds me, either ;) I take anything the mags say with a big grain of salt. What is more important is the report in two to three years about how the sled actually does out on the snow. All the manufacturers have great products, there's not a whole lot to separate them out to gain any bragging rights.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
A new engine always scares me at first. Going to be interesting to see what kind of issues that 650 twin cylinder has this upcoming season.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
LOL
I had the 88 650 Beast
I got the 98 600
I have an 02 800
Some times the first year is the best but with exceptions
Look at the 03 F7
Still the best but oh brother it had issues!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be kind of curious of the fuel and oil economy of the new 650.

·
Super Moderator
281 Posts
Tex-Arctic is going to do just enough to keep the business profitable. If they didn't do anything for a 60th Anniversary why would they do more the year after ? IMO these are the things they will do.

1. Release a gauge of some type that integrates into the electronics
2. Update the rear suspension to something different
3. Update the plastics a little and release a LED light with them.
4. Send more models to dealers to sell throughout the year.

That's it. I don't feel we'll see a new engine anytime soon. There's been no testing at the AC plant based on people who live nearby and they've unloaded most engineers anyway and test folks. Can't design and release new products doing that.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Agreed...take the win with a grain of salt due to sponsor dollars. That's a tough line to walk. You want to be straight up, but you don't want those dollars to walk away. I bet there's a good amount of dollars to produce that show given the travel they do throughout the season.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will say one thing. Polaris is putting things on their machines that others it is an option. Generally better shock packages, the gauge is better, LED lights.
LED lights are not a deal breaker for me though. I'd rather have halogen headlights and LED tail light. Haven't seen a decent LED headlight that actually projects farther down the trail. I've tried a few and my step-son bought some highly rated ones and put on his sled, didn't like them and put HIDs on it instead.

But, that gauge that Polaris has is awesome. Don't know if that is stock across models, but the ability to have a GPS that not only tracks where you are, but also tracks your nearby friends. Now if they can add a button on there for "Help" and it signals the other riders...
Skidoo, anything beyond basic gauge is $$$. And what really pisses me off is that, for example, my gauge can be software upgraded to add in all the features of the deluxe gauge. Basically that means they removed features from the gauge to be able to sell them as an upgrade. This is software. Cheap. Already developed, great selling point if included.

·
Registered
26,045 Posts
Upgrades!
I believe we Will be seeing 2 new engines from Cat and maybe even Yamaha?

I told them I could Not believe they had a 6000 Pantera and that I had been patiently waiting for the release of the 8000 Pantera that never happened!
Instead they just Drop the entire High end touring models!
All I see is the Blast touring WTF!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I will say one thing. Polaris is putting things on their machines that others it is an option. Generally better shock packages, the gauge is better, LED lights.
LED lights are not a deal breaker for me though. I'd rather have halogen headlights and LED tail light. Haven't seen a decent LED headlight that actually projects farther down the trail. I've tried a few and my step-son bought some highly rated ones and put on his sled, didn't like them and put HIDs on it instead.

But, that gauge that Polaris has is awesome. Don't know if that is stock across models, but the ability to have a GPS that not only tracks where you are, but also tracks your nearby friends. Now if they can add a button on there for "Help" and it signals the other riders...
Skidoo, anything beyond basic gauge is $$$. And what really pisses me off is that, for example, my gauge can be software upgraded to add in all the features of the deluxe gauge. Basically that means they removed features from the gauge to be able to sell them as an upgrade. This is software. Cheap. Already developed, great selling point if included.
You are paying for the fancy gauge and shocks on a Polaris, just like Skidoo. The gauge is a $1300 option on some of the sleds. It comes stock on some, but the price jumps over the lower model. Same for the shocks. Ski Doo is doing the same thing.

Agree on the LED lights. It all depends on how the reflector is designed. Not the light type. That is why most of the time adding an LED bulb to a halogen reflector does nothing. The reflector is not positioned for where the sweet spot of the light is and does not reflect down the trail correctly. A few people complained about the Polaris LED lights on another forum I am on. They said they were horrible and did not throw the light down the trail like they thought they should.

·
Super Moderator
281 Posts
Most aftermarket LED lights are poorly designed for the housings. A proper LED lighting design will look nothing like what we have in Halogen housings. That's where HID is better. They can place a bulb in a similar position and with the 360 degrees that it gives off light (more lumens too) it is better. Sometimes blinding if they aren't adjusted height wise too. The extra expense is what limits their use though in sleds. Everyone wants a $35 bulb not a $200 one with a ballast and extra connections and more wiring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts