Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one know if there are any trails near the gary-portage area. im just west of chicago and want to go somwhere close to break in a new motor. dont want to drive to the u.p for first trip on the motor. any help would be great.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don’t know if there any trails around Gary/Portage but I live In New Buffalo Michigan right over the michigan border about 20 min past portage where you can ride. Nothing spectacular but the trail leaves from New Buffalo then goes towards Galien, MI then continues towards Crumbstown and Lightick, IN. New buffalo has the least snow at about 8-10 inches or so and towards galien and past there is more toward 18 and up inches and we are still under lake effect warning, matter fact it is hard to see out the window (at work) right now! :( - I WILL be riding as soon as I get off work!

Get Off Exit 1 from 94 go right .5 mile to the stop light and drop in the empy parking lot on across from the truck stop or next to "The Pub" bar and grill. trail is damn near across the street from the bar.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In South Bend you park at the speedway and can ride the Buffalo Run trail system. It will take you up into Michigan to New Buffalo but you need to have a MI trail permit. There is more than enough snow. They got 3' last weekend and are getting another 1'-2'. Here's a link to the trail map... Buffalo Run Trail Map

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
where abouts west of chicago are u theres all kinds of riding around here

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am in campton hills, to help narrow that down im between dekalb and st. Charles. i know there is some riding but not when there is no snow. im trying to get some break in miles before i go up north in a week.

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
i am in campton hills, to help narrow that down im between dekalb and st. Charles. i know there is some riding but not when there is no snow. im trying to get some break in miles before i go up north in a week.
Come about an hour north, trails are open, but more importantly the chain o lakes if Nicely frozen and plenty of snow in it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts