Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so here's the dillema. A friend of mine is a diehard rider and has been on me to buy a sled so we can ride. He is mountain sleder and it's something I would like to do aswell once I get the hang of things a bit better. I've been a few times but only been on the trails but I want to get more of a mountain sled so that once the time comes I'm set up for that, plus the current sled I'm riding is not short by any means so hopefully the transition to a mountain sled will not be tough.

I'm trying to figure out what to buy, I'll probably buy new mainly because of the warranty and all the cool new features on the newer sleds, my friends a big guy like myself and is having suspension problems with his shock in the rear fading under heavy use. I've been leaning towards a skidoo but was wondering if any particular sled or suspension works well for larger(heavier) than normal guys.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am a big guy, tipping in at 410. You can have your shocks rebuilt and set up for your size. I just had mine rebuilt and re-valved for $150.00 each at a local dealer. I thought it was a pretty fair price and i made a HUGE difference in the comfort and handling of my sled.

·
Registered
26,195 Posts
By all means go with the NEW M8! And most local shock rebuilders can do that for $75 or so! But the Air shochs are THE way to go!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
in addition to shock revalving, you will also want heavy duty springs! The shocks are only part of the equation, and have nothing to do with ride height. Springs are what control that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Go with the new Doo they are lighter than anything else out there change up the springs to account for the heavier weight and have the shocks revalved for your weight and you will be good to go. Also go with the new 800etec engine and you will love it they sip fuel and oil and build great horsepower.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Well if you got the dough, buy the brand of sled that suits you, then install an M10 rear suspension, I put a good condition used M10 in my older sled last year, and I chase my adult son (who rides standing, with his knee's absorbing alot of the bumps) and i stay pretty much on his bumper sitting down !!) And I am a little over 3 bills...

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i weigh 355, and am 6'11".
i have a 04 800 rev, i installed 2-up factory
springs and it rides excellent.
dont do mountains but go off trail a lot.
opps, it also has a 136" track.

·
Super Moderator
18,377 Posts
Remind me to be very polite to all you big guys ;)

I was riding a week ago with a guy that's big, he was on an M8. That sled did fine with him on it and is a really capable mountain sled. The new ProRMK is pretty awesome, as well. As was already mentioned, revalving the shocks and getting bigger springs works awesome.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
i weigh 355, and am 6'11".
i have a 04 800 rev, i installed 2-up factory
springs and it rides excellent.
dont do mountains but go off trail a lot.
opps, it also has a 136" track.
forgot to mention that i also have a 2up seat.
and with my wife & me it still rides good.

not gunna guess what she weighs, were
on speaking terms now, not gunna blow that.:p

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
I'm not a mountain rider, but I've always heard excellent reviews from the M8. Plus you can get it with Fox Floats (air shocks) from the factory so that you just adjust the pressure in the shock to fit your weight. Much easier to deal with than a gas shock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
all the new mountain sleds are pretty sweet. its all on what you prefer, ask your friend if you can take his sled for a ride and talk to people that you live around and see what handles your area the best. all the new poos doos and artic cats are real good sleds this year. they have great power and are very light. if i was buying a new sled it would be a new skidoo but thats just me and most of my friends have. After you get your sled then go from there on suspension re-valved stiffer springs all that will help but it depends on your weight and how stiff you life your suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts