Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am the proud owner of a 2008 ford ranger FX4, 6 ft bed (+tailgate) as well as a ~2000 380 touring and a 2020 riot 8000 but I am plagued with the problem of not being sure how to transport these sleds with my truck, of course, one at a time.

I have been wracking my brain to try and find a way I like to easily load and unload my sleds from my truck but there's always a catch. I see a few options for ramps and decks online that are designed for full-sized trucks that fit between the wheel wells, however the old ranger is 40 inches between the wells where both my sleds are from outside edge to outside edge of the ski 48 inches wide.
I understand I could just say screw it and ride right over the wells, but that has a number of problems of its own.
1. Scratching the hell out of the spray-in dump liner. 2. if there is enough space, the skis could get stuck in front of the wells. 3. this aids me not at all in loading and unloading.
I have also seen some people say they put their sleds in backwards, I really don't like the sound of that, especially considering both my sleds are fairly long, its possible the riot wont even be properly in enough backwards anyways, where if it was forwards, the vast majority of the weight will be in the truck without a doubt.
One of the ramp/deck styles I saw and quite like basically has a deck that has a ramp that slides under it for storage, to do that on a ranger, youd have to build the deck nearly level with the top of the bed, and I'm a bit uneasy with how high up that much weight is.

So I looked at trailers and... Well a new one is out of the question... A 12 foot trailer is about 5k give or take, and than you still have the problem of all the slush, mud and salt your truck will throw back on your sled with almost nothing to stop it, where loading on top of the truck will reduce the mess dramatically.

So, if there is anyone with a good solution or suggestion for me, please let me know. I could have been for a few rides already if I had a way to transport my sleds.

Edit: I don't think a trailer is an option, I just don't have the space to keep it.

· Registered
27,494 Posts
Welcome
I would keep looking around here a 8 1/2 x 10 snowmobile trailer is about $750-900
If you put a winch in bed of truck and a set of 6' ramps you could just pull it on to the truck
Then tie it to a tree and drive out from under it

· Registered
4,593 Posts
Simple solution to the scratching the bed liner is to get a piece of plywood and cut it to the bed dimensions. I'd probably go with the 7/16. Thin enough to not be a pain, but thick enough to be durable.

Sled Deck on that Ranger is just to much in my humble opinion. My older Ranger was rated at 800 lbs in the bed. Snowmachine is 500+ lbs with about 1/4 of it hanging out the back.

I'm with kccats, keep looking for a trailer. That would be the only way I'd feel safe hauling them in a Ranger.

Putting a shield or simply getting covers for your machines is the way to protect them.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simple solution to the scratching the bed liner is to get a piece of plywood and cut it to the bed dimensions. I'd probably go with the 7/16. Thin enough to not be a pain, but thick enough to be durable.

Sled Deck on that Ranger is just to much in my humble opinion. My older Ranger was rated at 800 lbs in the bed. Snowmachine is 500+ lbs with about 1/4 of it hanging out the back.

I'm with kccats, keep looking for a trailer. That would be the only way I'd feel safe hauling them in a Ranger.

Putting a shield or simply getting covers for your machines is the way to protect them.
Payload on the '08 fx4 is apparently about 1260lbs.
I made something up. Sled gets in and out no issue, truck barely notices it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts