Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a 1997 Polaris XC 600 Tripple and pretty much it sometimes starts and sometimes will actually go but most of the time it will start and i try to give it gas and it just bogs out, I cleaned and rebuild the carbs, and I also synced them all together, I put new spark plus it and made sure that my plugs where good to by testing for spark, all that is good.. What could it possibly be?

Also it idles totally fine foor awhile but as soon as i try to give it gas is when it bogs

· Registered
3,976 Posts
If you had old gas in the tank then it could have clogged up the carbs again. Use a small piece of wire in each passage way and through each jet. Also it is possible the fuel diaphragm is bad and collapsing when you try to force fuel through it. Also check the line inside the tank and on the end of it should be a weighted fuel filter on the end of it. Also replace the fuel filter as well behind the air box. Make sure the airbox is cleaned and there is no nest. Then clean the clutches as well make sure the primary is okay and not catching. Same with the secondary spring clean the helix and if the buttons are shot replace those. Any fuel line in the engine area replace with tygon as well. And make sure the needle/seats are clean. All it takes is one small piece of junk from old gas and you are back at the beginning. Just because you cleaned them once doesn't mean something else in the lines or tank got back in there. It can take 3-4 times or more to properly clean carbs.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you had old gas in the tank then it could have clogged up the carbs again. Use a small piece of wire in each passage way and through each jet. Also it is possible the fuel diaphragm is bad and collapsing when you try to force fuel through it. Also check the line inside the tank and on the end of it should be a weighted fuel filter on the end of it. Also replace the fuel filter as well behind the air box. Make sure the airbox is cleaned and there is no nest. Then clean the clutches as well make sure the primary is okay and not catching. Same with the secondary spring clean the helix and if the buttons are shot replace those. Any fuel line in the engine area replace with tygon as well. And make sure the needle/seats are clean. All it takes is one small piece of junk from old gas and you are back at the beginning. Just because you cleaned them once doesn't mean something else in the lines or tank got back in there. It can take 3-4 times or more to properly clean carbs.
Alright i will do all of that thank you very much

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
If it gets better if you apply the choke lever to 1/2, pay particular attention to the pilot jets and the air and fuel passages to them. You can also try turning the air screws IN 1/8 of a turn at a time to see if the performance gets better. Turn IN 1/8 of a turn, test. Keep turning and testing until the air screw bottoms out. If that happens, it's definitely the pilot jet circuit in the carbs. Those passages are really small and varnish can clog them very easily.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it gets better if you apply the choke lever to 1/2, pay particular attention to the pilot jets and the air and fuel passages to them. You can also try turning the air screws IN 1/8 of a turn at a time to see if the performance gets better. Turn IN 1/8 of a turn, test. Keep turning and testing until the air screw bottoms out. If that happens, it's definitely the pilot jet circuit in the carbs. Those passages are really small and varnish can clog them very easily.
Ok also so one time when it was running good and I rode it around I didt have the air box in and then I stoped it and put the air box in and when I try to turn it back on it wouldt start do you think my air filter or box could have something to do with it?
It’s not the best filter

· Administrator
19,927 Posts
Lots of sleds have no air filter at all. About the only thing the filter can keep out is snow dust. If the sled runs with it off and not with it on, the filter may be making the air/fuel rich. You can try to remove it or adjust the carb air screws OUT to make the air/fuel mix leaner at idle. It may be worth a try to see if that helps, just to rule it out if nothing else.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lots of sleds have no air filter at all. About the only thing the filter can keep out is snow dust. If the sled runs with it off and not with it on, the filter may be making the air/fuel rich. You can try to remove it or adjust the carb air screws OUT to make the air/fuel mix leaner at idle. It may be worth a try to see if that helps, just to rule it out if nothing else.
Alright so.. I replaced all the fuel lines, checked the gas line and filter it was fine, cleaned all three carbs and replaced the jets, and needles, and i also synced them last week. i started it up after about 30 pulls, it idled very high at about 4000 rpms and at first it was very smokey but smoke went away, i tried messing with air screw and air mixture screw and neither really worked, i didt take them all the way out but i took air screw maybe 2 turns out and the mixture screw idek how many out, other than the high idle and slight bogging when i gave it alot of gas it ran pretty good for about 5 minutes then it started to bog, i let it idle for 45 seconds came back it it ran again then it bogged and then i let it sit for a little bit while ideling and came back it was fine other than slight bogging, im thinking im getting to much gas now because now when it idles every like thirty seconds without me doing anything the sled will move by its self a tiny bit forward.. What you guys thyink?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.