Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I havnt got to ride my sled yet, no snow, but i ran it in the garage to let it get up to temp. I got a little worried because it didnt seem to be transfering heat to the heat exchanger, i shut it off and put my hand on the head, it wasnt hot, but it was a temp were i wouldnt want to hold my hand on it for to,to long ,maybe 20 seconds.

I know that they have thermostats, but what temp would that kick in, and also the light for my overheat light come on when i start it( bulb check) and then goes out, but how do i know it works? im having problems keeping the little heat sensor peace on the engine. it likes to fall off and isnt a very tight connection.

anyway im going to run it more, but i dont want to run it and mess it up

thanks!

·
Certified Mechanic
56 Posts
Sounds like a thermostat issue, and thats a good place to start. A lot of sleds lights come on when you first start them as a "test". The light should work with the sensor, but since the sensor is falling out, you might want to get a new one. Its normal for the temp light to be on and then turn off in a sec or two when you start it, but Id get a new thermostat and make sure the coolant is flowing properly by pulling off the hoses to make sure there is fluid in them.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I cracked the drain open. fluid came out, and when i squeeze the hoses, i can hear liquid sloshing, so i think that there is liquid throughout the system, but that doesn't mean its circulating.

i took the thermostat out, im probably going to put it back together and try to run it without that

ive read that the pump is gear driven, so it doesnt seem like a common fail point to me, could my pump be shot? but them sled run fine and not make an weird noises? what is the likelyhood my pump is dead, if it is whats the costs?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Your sled is probably working fine. It should run about 110 F if I remember correctly. You can put your hand on that and hold it there. You may not have run it long enough to get the coolers warmed up, or you may have some air in the system. Put your front end up in the air, at least a foot above the rear an run it at idle with the cap off your coolant bottle. You may see some air bubbles come into the bottle, and you may need to add coolant as the bubbles keep coming.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i decided to totaly iliminate everything, took out the thermostat and chainfalled the snowmobile till it was like an 45 degree angle ran it and put antifreeze in it, seemed to take some, so that made me happy, now im going to run it and see if that fixes it.

IF IT DOESNT, what could it be, no air in the lines and no thermostat, is there anyway i can check if my waterpump is actually pumping

for some reason i have an awful feeling that my waterpump doesnt work, idk why, but i really want to check and make sure it does

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You could loosen one of the hoses to your coolers and see if anti-freeze come shooting out. You might have to burp it again though.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it, i just had to get all the air out, by running it and adding it while elevated, took a while though

now should i put the thermostat back in, or just leave it out?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright, i did and my problem should be fixed!

so the conclution was that there was air in the cooling system, maybe this post will be able to help somone else!

thanks everyone!

keywords

air in coolant water system heat exchangers not cooling problem will not circulate fluid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts