Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
all sleds R great!!!!
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where i can find a list of fastest production sleds, year by year? i Snowgoer Magazine started taking stats in 1982, just wondering if there's a list, i believe the Ski Doo Blizzard 9500 was fastest in 82. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
HMMM I know that was about the start of the Fastest Production race? I believe the next would be the Indy triple, and then the Wild Cat? And prior would be the 76 SRX!
Can't say year for year but those come to my memory right off!

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Just thinking! I can go back to about 75 with the Z of Cat (500cc free air) then in 76 the SRX lq of Yami, and it was top Dog for a coupla years!

·
all sleds R great!!!!
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya me too....i know SNOW GOER magazine started doing runs in 82 and listed the Blizzard 9500 fastest that year and i believe the Kawasaki Interceptor 550 was fastest production sled in 83 or 84, but that's all i could find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pretty sure one or more of the late 70's and early 80's the El tigres were top dog right?:dunno:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, this could go on for a while. In 1981 the eltigre 6000 was deemed the fastest sled in the world. That was just on a lake though. Other manufactures argued that "yes they were the fastest in a drag race but were they the fastest on the trail?" In 1982 cat was out of business so maybe the ski doo or yammi or someone else was faster in 1982 considering the year before cat earned the title of fastest snowmobile in the world. Usually manufactures try to come back the next year with a few engine changes or what ever to try and knock the title holder down to size so to speak. Some of the 70's sleds made more hp but in the early 80's maufactures got really good with clutching. I owned a 1981 eltigre 6000 and those sleds when jetted down a little were a force to be recond with in stock form. I know that doesn't narrow anything down year by year but thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I had a 79 6000 as well as a 81 6000, and I couldn't keep up with my Bro inlaws 76 SRX, I had to do twin pipes and a bunch more including clutching to cautch him!

·
Registered
32 Posts
You are right ZRTEETH however it wasnt on just one lake....It was at first and thats when the critics got served.....Here is the rest of the news article...............................................Flying Tigers
A pre-production 1981 6000 claimed the title of the World’s Fastest Snowmobile at the Snow Goer Shoot Out in February 1980. But critics contended that straightline lake racing wasn’t all there was to snowmobile performance.

The critics were silenced in December 1980 when retired Arctic Sno Pro racer Larry Coltom rode a 6000 to victory in the industry’s first-ever major snocross, the Dayco Holiday Spectacular Muscle Machine Shoot-Out in Alexandria, Minnesota. Cat opened by winning two of the three qualifying motos.

In the feature, Coltom defeated 11 other muscle sleds – half of them IFS machines – representing the best from the seven other brands available. Doug Oster’s 6000 challenged for the lead until he broke a ski near the end. Dan Oostdyk’s Scorpion Sidewinder, essentially the same sled with the older 440 engine, finished third overall, and the Arctic Enterprises contingent took four of the top seven positions.
However, 6000s reaching customers just weren’t all that impressive. Like many snowmobiles of the day, they were jetted rich at the factory to prevent burn downs. But proper re-jetting of the mains and needle jets for local altitude and temperatures turned them into real flying tigers, or Tigrés.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts