Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are 2 new snow stuff brand pistons for sale on ebay for $50. Anyone know anything about this brand(good or bad). And does that sound like a good deal?
thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
They will work in a pinch.Esspecially if you can't get the OEMs. As far as the after markets go they are okay. Weisco or Kimpex would be a little better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if there is any difference between pistons for liquid cooled engines and pistons for air cooled engines? I would like to buy the ones on ebay and was wondering if they will work.
thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, I thought you said I could use the 2 ringed pistons and that they would work better anyway. But maybe I misunderstood something??
I dont know if it makes a difference but I would be using both of the new pistons. And both of them have 2 rings.
Also, there is a guy in another forum with a crankshaft for sale thats in good condition for my snowmobile. What kind of price should I offer for it?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
tmaxx said:
oh, I thought you said I could use the 2 ringed pistons and that they would work better anyway. But maybe I misunderstood something??
I dont know if it makes a difference but I would be using both of the new pistons. And both of them have 2 rings.
Also, there is a guy in another forum with a crankshaft for sale thats in good condition for my snowmobile. What kind of price should I offer for it?
What I meant was what came out of it goes back in it. Don't put a 1 ring piston in an engine that requires 2, etc.

Offer the guy $50 for it. He can only say no. Then ask what he wants for it.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
If Ski Doo retrofitted that engine with 2 ring pistons and discontinued the one ring ones, then aftermarket manufacturers will do the same. If the Blizzard came with one ring ones, then two may be all that they offer now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took a closer look at the cylinder that I haven't cleaned yet and it looks like there is some light scoring in it. Im really getting tired of finding little things wrong with the engine, so Im just going to use the parts like they are. I was just wondring if it will still run with a little scoring, or what problems it will cause.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It's gonna prematurely wear the rings and eventually dig the cylinder out more. Remember, these things run up to 7000 to 8000RPM's. Spend the $40 to get it honed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you know how to tell if a ring is good or not?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I dont know if you know anything about fourwheelers of not, but I went to change the oil today and there was a bunch of white foamy stuff in the oil cap, and all through the oil. Any idea what it is?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ahhhhh stupid water:mad: It is an air cooled, Im thinking maybe it got into the air box but dont know for sure. Any other places it could be getting in?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would gas make foam in the oil, or just water?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed the oil a few times and all the crap seems to be gone. Now back to the sled. The airbox I have dosnt have any rubber adapters on it to hook the carbs into, and I dont really want to go buy a whole new airbox, so would I be able to make some sort of an adapter myself or does it need to be a specific size?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts