Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while trying to get my Ovation running, I left the hood open overnight- and the spark plugs were out. Now there's snow inside the engine, but I can't run it to get it out. Any tips, or is my engine dead from rust?

·
Super Moderator
99 Posts
Just mix up some gas and oil together and dump a few ounces in there. Then leave the plugs out and pull it over. Do it a few more times and then put some new plugs in there and give it a whirl. It'll probably work ok. I would then warm it up good to get any other moisture out of there as well. Good and HOT.

Steve

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Personally I would bring it into a heated shop, pull the crankcase plugs and let it sit in that warm shop for a few days with the plugs out as well. When you go to start it up again spray something like Aerokroil but just a small quick burst. Don't drown it in that. I use that at the end of the season and I do it during the summer and pull it over a few times as well to make sure it won't rust and lock up.

When you go to start it then put in some gas you don't have to mix it with oil to get it going right off the bat if it is a less then an ounce or two. Whatever you do don't use starting fluid to get it going again. That is a great way to burn a hole in the piston.

·
Super Moderator
17,164 Posts
I'd start by spraying some WD40 into the plug holes, it will do a pretty good job of coating things. The warm shop is also a good idea. Get it warm, leave the plugs out, pull the rope. Any moisture should be pushed out of the exhaust and plug holes along with the WD40.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yeah WD-40 is kinda the same as Aerokroil :) but works better imho. Dad used to bring it home from Mobil Oil and it was night & day better then WD-40 not too mention it coats and prevents rust. Should look into it Dan you might be surprised at how well it works! Plus when we see it their graphite stuff is excellent as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before leaving that morning I dumped a bunch of gas in it and pulled it over. I'll do wd-40 or oil later today, probably WD-40 because I just hauled it to my neighbor's shed and it's a little easier to carry WD-40. #Lazy

·
Super Moderator
1,857 Posts
Yep I begin every year with WD40 in plugs and slowly turn it over to lube everything
Then when ready to start (after carbs are clean and air box) a shot of starting fluid with the WD40!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you dumped a bunch of gas into it you better pull those plugs just to be safe and let it evaporate before trying to start it up. Idk what you consider a "bunch" of gas though.

And I use Aerokroil as I stated, never been a fan of WD-40

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I turned it over with the plugs out like I usually do when trying to get it started with gas. Thanks for the tip though.
Also, the neighbor who I dropped it off at managed to get it running while I was away, so I don't think that any water should be there after riding for 4 hours straight. Now the clutch is sticking engaged though.

BTW a bunch of gas means the cylinder in the up position overflowed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts