Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Robert K Morrison
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed these running boards which is essentially cutting out a portion of your OEM running boards and replacing with this insert to help with traction and help prevent snow and ice build up on the running boards?

I am wondering if any dealer could perfrom this work and how hard it is to really mess up the sled. Also how it looks from below as the cuts would show. On the top they would be covered by the plate but would show on the bottom. Worried if cut sloppily it would look bad from down below. Anyone have any experience with this.

Thanks for any advice!

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
i have installed a few sets. neat cuts help but near impossible given the location of the cuts.

yes, the cuts are visible from under, but whos looking there. paint matching the raw edges hides alot of imperfections. powder coating the inserts reduces snow sticking.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
I have a set of Snow Eliminators waiting to go on my 700, the stock holes that Polaris put on just don't get rid of the snow. My running boards are constantly packed with ice/snow, which has caused me to end up on the snow instead of on my sled on more than one occasion! That's not very dignified for an old fart, ya know ;)

Edited to add:
Mine were Better Boards, not Snow Eliminators, sorry for the confusion!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey BC_Dan, what made you decide to go with Snow Eliminators instead of other brands. I know you always do your research so I'm interested to see why you went with them.

Secondly did you get them on there yet?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
There are a few companies that locally advertise die-cutting your existing running boards. They somehow roll the edges for strength, and leave a kicked-up edge on one edge for boot grip. They look nice when done, but I wonder how much strength they take away.

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
I got them with my 700 when I bought it, the guy tossed 'em in to sweeten the deal. I put them on Sunday. Talk about nervous! Crikey! You make a mistake, you are toast!

I used a reciprocating saw with a metal cutting blade and they turned out great! I am going to order another pair for the 2008 600. These things REALLY help get rid of the snow. I took some pics, if that's of value I can post 'em up tomorrow.

I did a lot of reading about Better Boards vs. Snow Eliminaters vs. a few other brands, and I have read of very few problems with the Better Boards. Nice quality, a lot thicker metal than the aluminum the tunnel is made of. Now we have to get a bit of snow so I can go out and see how they work!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I must agree with BC Dan, I got the BetterBoards in today and the quality is a bit better than snow eliminators.

I have yet to install them, that's tomorrows project. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
Does anyone have some dimensions for these for the 05-06 RMKs? I was thinking of just making my own.
measure your footboards, i think the ones i adapted to my yamaha were from that era polaris. 24" long, apprx 5.5" at the front and tapering to apprx 3.5" at the rear. see if that corresponds with your sled and i can do some more details. mine are snow eliminators.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
thanks, that helps. Do you know the approximate sheet thickness?
that sled went back in the trailer yesterday, but off the top of my head i would guess .100 or .125.

i opted to go with the snow eliminators due to the fact i needing a custom set and the response and service was better received than the efforts from better boards.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Installing better boards and snow eliminators

I installed a pair of better boards on my 2007 m8 and came across this thread while searching for install tips. So I thought I would add some pictures and a little advice,
I used a saws-all with metal blade to cut the holes and a grinder wheel to clean up the rough spots. The first side took me 2+ hours because I was too conservative while cutting (for obvious reasons) and had to spend a lot of time cleaning the edges and removing excess aluminum. The second side took me about an hour, made a much cleaner cut. The arctic cats (as do many sleds I’m sure) have little foot cleats that stick up around the edges of your cut and need to be ground down so the better board sits nice and flush on the running board when it is riveted down. A few helpful tips.... Don’t mount too close to the tunnel or its hard to get the holes drilled and rivets in, clean up your rivet holes on top and bottom ot ensure a snug rivet, clean up the bottom of the cuts so there isn’t sharp metal sticking out to rip your gloves on while digging out. The directions I had suggested using a grinder and cut off wheel to make the holes. After trying that, I quickly went to the saws-all and had much greater success. The grinder was slow and its very easy to make a mistake with the grinder but it was useful for clean up after the original cut was made. Here are some pictures, showing the outline of the cut to be made, after the cut, after installation as well as a view from below. They look a little sloppy from below but on top they look great. Can’t wait to try them out now!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Those are cool! On the cheeper, easier side could i drill 1/2-3/4 in holes evenly spaced in my running boards or would anyone suggest not doung that?

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Snowmobile.com App

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Those are cool! On the cheeper, easier side could i drill 1/2-3/4 in holes evenly spaced in my running boards or would anyone suggest not doung that?

Sent from my YP-GS1 using Snowmobile.com App
I would not attempt that, it would weaken your running boards and probably wouldnt even work well enough to prevent snow build up....
For a cheaper easier alternative...Some company (I forget the name) is selling some non-stick spray on stuff that supposedly keeps snow from sticking to your boards. It was like $70 a can though!

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Has anybody tried the roll-on bedliner like line-x or rhino lining on their running boards? Maybe with that stuff you could spray them with cooking spray and still maintain traction for your feet?

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
Polaris put 1" holes in the 07 running boards. They suck. You need much bigger openings to get the snow off. Better Boards work well for that.

I'm thinking that putting line-x on the running boards then spraying it to keep the snow off will be a fun thing to watch. Kind of like putting armor-all on the seat. Sounds like a good idea, but in reality, not so much ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.