Snowmobile Forum banner

129 or 137 and also 1.25 ice ripper or 1.35 cobra (pick one for each)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering snow checking a new sled this year. looking for some insight on what model/ packages / features to order with the new sled. Currently on a 2009 Polaris dragon 600 129 w/ i believe a 1.25 un-studded track. these new sleds are definitely more expensive then my current sled. I ride several hundred miles a year so this sled will last me several years i'm not one who puts 4,000 miles on in a year and buys a new sled next year. Considering a VR1 edition Indy 650. the 650 will give me a little more power then my current 600, I don't need the 850 for an additional $1000. My main question is whether to go with a 129 or a 137 track. We ride mostly groomed trails in the NEK of Vermont with even ranges of flat open fields and twisty hilly wooded areas. we do have about 100 acres of fields and woods that i do ride around on off trail as well. I was thinking a 129 would suit me fine but i've heard a lot of talk about how awesome the 137 is. I don't think I need to consider anything longer like a switchback assault 144/146. The 137 would give me a little better performance off trail and i've heard it give you a better ride over the bumps but also still stays planted well while cornering. my other question is what track to run on the sled. I don't think I need the 1.5 inch storm track but i'm torn between the 1.35 cobra track and the 1.25 ice ripper track. Also, if I go with the 1.35 cobra track do i add aftermarket studs to that track or do I leave it as is. I come from never having studs and i've heard some people hate them but most people love them. Plus theirs differences between the aftermarket studs and the integrated ice ripper studs. Those are my main questions with optioning out this sled. Im definitely going with an Indy 650 VR1 I cant wait for this new sled next year! Thx for any insight in advance!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I looked at the new snowmobiles as well. If I was doing one and had the extra cash it would be the 137" with the Ice Ripper because then it would be one less thing to put in...i.e studs. Now I do know people who run the Ice Attack tracks with more studs but those people are all running 800s with the big bore kits and a bunch of aftermarket addons like the stage 4 kits some people like SLP sell.

I would do one in Purple/White with Purple Tunnel & Rails with the either the 650 or 850 as both are solid, Purple Ski Loops, the bigger guard up front for the underneath, at one point last year they had an adjustable handlebar setup for an extra 250 dollars, a tall windshield as I like to be comfortable and most likely the heated seat as if I am going to spend that much damn it I want to be comfortable! lol

So whatever you like in color with the 137" and 1.25" Ice Attack. And yes if you went the 1.35" Cobra Track you would then need to do studs and then also have them come from the factory with the stud protectors in the tunnel. If you do the Ice Attack select that option as well so it protects everything underneath.

Good luck you lucky SOB! I wish I could do it but not enough extra money each month. MAYBE later this year though once then re-finance is done...Hmmm ????? Nah I have other plans like a muscle car!

But Good luck in with what you choose. I don't think you will be disappointed in either track.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts