Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I rebuilt a 80' JAG 3000 F/C engine (AF34A2) and the thing smokes pretty bad at idle. Is there any sort of oil pump injection timing or something else that would cause the excessive smoke? It does it at all throttle ranges. Or, is the oil pump shot or a component there of? Any help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I think no one will have trouble finding me in the woods, just follow the black streak in the snow. Thanks

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
how old is the gas in the machine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Brand new gas but old oil, I think from last year. I disassembled the oil pump to make sure everything was fine, then I took it outside yesterday and fired it up. It smoked REAL bad until it got warm, about five minutes. At an idle it wouldn't smoke anymore but when I got on it a bit some smoke would come out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
normally sleds smoke a little after sitting around all summer long, try runnin some newer oil through it, you probably dont even have a problem, it just needs to get worked in again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
MAVERICK is right, run it for awhile it'll clean out.
I had one of those JAG's a 79,paid 200 for it and ran it over 2000 miles always started on the 2nd pull and never had to do anything to it, one of the most reliable sleds I ever owned.

Happy rid'in.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
jags are really reliable

1 - 7 of 7 Posts