Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last weekend i smoked the belt trying to move the sled after it had been out all night. i guess the track froze up. Im going to get a new belt but is it bad if i ride the snowmobile with the burnt belt. Right now it is just making a clicking noise at low speeds. Thanks

·
Administrator
19,291 Posts
If the wear spot is minor, it won't hurt too much to ride at slower speeds. If it's a bad wear spot, it will put a lot of vibration into the engine/clutch and could cause damage. Small wear spot- make it a backup. Large wearspot- cut it in half so you won't be tempted to use it. Then use the halves to give you traction onto your trailer by screwing the belt onto the deck so the track has traction.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I prop mine up after each ride and throttle it until the track removes all the snow/ice. This way you're set for the next ride.

·
Registered
27,165 Posts
Another good use is to keep a 2 or 3" piece and push it into the driven clutch as you push in on the center. This will hold the sheves open and make the belt easy to remove and replace!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also quick question. to change the belt on an 1999 arctic cat u just have to turn the middle part with the spring on the secondary clutch to the right to open it? im pretty sure that how to do it but will be my first time changing the belt so just want to make sure. also do you have to loosen any of the bolts?

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Another good use is to put bad belt in seat pouch. I had a buddy do this and used to pull a dead sled to the trailer. Fold belt in "U" shape through you rear bumper then put a heavy enough stick or such through the front bumper of the dead sled. It pulled very nice. Just remember to have other rider steer or walk beside and steer. You can also use two belts in opposite manner between the two sleds. Just remeber this is a slow and careful way to move a down sled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.