Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding the sled for about 5 laps around my brothers house when all of a sudden the sled started to smoke , reaked of burnt rubber . i let off the gas and the sled slowed to a fast stop like i was applying the brakes, but was not. at a stop i revved the sled to 5-6 grand and it didnt move so i turned it off where it sat. i went to get my brother and the sled sat only for about 5 minutes while visually inspecting it , we started it up and and it ran normal (engaged at 4000+ ) any ideas on if or what kind of problem this may be ?:dunno:

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
Could be a seized bearing in a idler wheel and smoking from skidding on the track... I would hang the back end and roll all the wheels and make sure the bearings are good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we hung the back of the sled to roll the track . it rolls ok . found that 1 side of the track is tighter than the other. right side only hangs 1/2 to 3/4 inch , left side hangs about an inch . only did not check each individual wheel . will check though .

·
Registered
323 Posts
check all the idler wheels,

question, was all this thick smoke coming from under the seat area? or from under the hood?

If it was coming from under the hood it was the belt smokin, which could be related to several things as well, belt coming apart, jackshaft bearing seizing up, chain case out of oil and the chain seizing up, drive shaft bearing (that drives the track) seizing up.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
we hung the back of the sled to roll the track . it rolls ok . found that 1 side of the track is tighter than the other. right side only hangs 1/2 to 3/4 inch , left side hangs about an inch . only did not check each individual wheel . will check though .
It sounds like the track tension isn't synchronized on both sides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe the smoke was comming from underneath , main belt and secondary clutch seemed warmer than normal, but not smoking hot . when it was hot n smoking it was hot enough underneath to literally melt the snow and ice underneath very quickly. all the wheels are moving freely.when everything got hot it wouldnt engage till like almost 6 grand. i adjusted the track to sag evenly at 1.5 inches ( was told 1-2 inches ). when i bought the sled it had 1 inch studs on them , i took them off . upon further digging we decided to pull the chaincase cover . when we did , we found that the lg top nut was OFF and the bottom bolt was half way off. chain was loose . bearings seem tight. did we find the problem with the nuts and bolts off or do we dig more ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts