Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You seem to be the guy with all the answers and you've helped me out before. I have a 97 mxz 583 and just rebuilt the motor after a cold siezure. I sent the cylinders to the guy I bought it from and he bored them. The problem is it won't start. It gets gas and spark but it just floods.

I also think the guy pulled a fast one. He said the motor was just rebuilt when I bought it. When he gave me the new pistons after it blew up they said .20 on them. Does that make sense? Shouldn't it be .30 over? Can you go .30 over and do you know how much it usaully costs to have the cylinders bored or sleeved if needed. I'm going to try a compression test tomorrow. Any advice would be great. thanks alot.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
It all depends on how badly the cylinders were messed up. I can go standard, .10, .20, and .30 in my catalogs. You only go as far as needed, so if it happens again, you have enough meat to bore it one more time. What's the compression on each cylinder? After assembly, it should be 130-150 lbs per side.

If he said it was rebuilt before, it may have had .10's in it, or maybe standard because it just needed honing. Boring prices vary. Around here it's 45 per cylinder. Luckily most Ski Doo's are normal and not Nickasil coated. Polaris, etc are around $200 per cyl! You did replace all gaskets, right?

Let me know compression and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I thought .20 over was the first size after boring. I'll let you know the compression.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
O.K. I finally got it running the compression is good. The thing is now I have to press the throttle to get it running and it won't idle.

·
Team Arctic
746 Posts
just sounds like maybe the idle on the carbs need to be turned up... watch your plugs though, you might need to rejet it. Its always hard to say what the last owner did to the sled.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Like cazwell said, you may have dirty carbs, blocked passage or mis-adjusted floats. Try the idle thing first. Then, after you run it, check the condition of the plugs. If they are black and oily, they're too rich. Final plug condition should be a dark toasted marshmallow brown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts