Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're almost done putting a new motor into a 1993 Suburban with a 350, and last Friday we were going to put the manifolds on and the bolt holes weren't lining up. So today since we finally had the time, we took them up to an auto parts store/machine shop and they have an "Exhaust Manifold Spreader for Smallblock Chevrolet's." Both of my grandpa's, my great uncle, two uncles, and my dad have been working on Mopar and some Ford for all their lives and have never had a manifold warp so the holes don't line up. The guys up at the shop said that it's a common thing with chevy manifolds. Any idea why these do this? I understand expansion and contraction of metal but when the manifolds were taken off they were cold and it hadn't been run in a couple months.

·
Premium Member
5,737 Posts
never really gave much thought as to why it happens, being a chevy guy i assumed it was just a cast manifold thing. i have had to use the spreader tool several times. its only a $10-$15 tool and i have found several other uses for it as well like pushing stuck secondary clutches off jackshafts and some minor body work uses. its a simple tool in concept.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$13 each for us today. My great uncle and grandpa have been mechanics their entire lives, and never knew when they took the manifolds off that they would ever need such a thing. It's a simple and cheap enough tool but it's frustrating that it happened as it has now set us back a whole week and extra time in town for my grandparents.

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My family (everyone i listed before) has never had a manifold warp. They've always gone right back on. I could understand where if it was hot when they took it off and it cooled without anything holding it in place and it shrunk that way but they were taken off cold and hadn't been hot for a couple months. I found it funny that on the packaging they market it for smallblock Chevy's...they must be about the only thing this happens to. I'm sure it's happened before to other makes, but I wonder why it would be more common with Chevy. We got the spreader on them yesterday and got one side of one manifold to line up but the other side needs to come up about 1/8'' to get the bolt started, so my grandpa took them with him yesterday to drill the holes out bigger so it has more room to wiggle with the bolts in place. We thought about doing headers but we figured for the $160 for the headers and then $150 for Exhaust Pro's to put dual exhaust on it we could use that $300 for other things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts