Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought a 1992 Indy 500 Classic, Had it at the shop yesterday to get the carbs done as it had sat for 2 yrs. Went out tonight and a little bit of coolant was on the trailer from it about a 1-2 ounzes of coolant had leaked out. the temp is -30 C outside. it looks like it is coming from the heat exchanger under the sled. is it possible for the metal to shrink in the cold as to leak a liitle coolant but once I run it and it warms up will it ill seal up, or maybe the shop filled it up and it is spillage. the resovior is up to the MIN setting, I wanted to use on Sunday or should I take it back to the shop to get looked at?

Never had a Liquid Sled before. As well dumb question.. Can I use the coolant I use for a car in it or is there special coolant for a sled?

any help is really appreciated
Trevor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same coolant as auto. Just dont mix green and orange. Use whatever is in it.

I have the exact same problem on an 88 indy. I bought it last year and used it, ran flawlessly. Then it sat for the summer without being touched, and around september there was a small leak from the same spot you described. I pulled the motor and checked all hoses and they were fine. Seems to be coming from the heat exchanger, but that had like 10 rivets holding it in and I'm going to the dealer to have a suspension swap in a few weeks, so I was gonna let them look at it.

In the bottom of the resivoir I found what looked like sand. Similar to the sealant I used before on my car's radiator. Possibly the previous owner used it in there. It held up for a year.

My leak isnt going to stop me from riding. If it is slow, just carry some coolant with you.

Let me know if you make any progress, I'll do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you riden yours since it started, I just got this thing for and I do not want to blow the motor from this.

It almost seems like as soon as it got started it started to leak, I work witht the guy i bought it from and he would have told me about it. i think that whatever gunk was holding it sealed up was disturbed and npw it is leaking.

i do not know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks a lot for the manual you sent. It gives me a good idea what exactly I'm looking at. Its still no treat to get to, though. But it looks like it will just be one of those hoses that sits underneath. Which is cheap.

No, I haven't ridden since the leak NEED SOME FRIGGIN SNOW!!! But the guys I ride with are mechanics and they told me it would be ok, just to bring some coolant with. Besides, I had it running in the garage for a while and got it nice and warm, and it didnt leak any faster. (it is really slow) But I dont cover a whole lot of miles when I ride, so if I had a prob, its not too big of a deal. I dont know how far you ride. But I would still go. Just top off your resivoir, carry some coolant or just water at least, And keep an eye on your temp gauge or check the level every so often at first. It should be ok. Then you can ride and have some fun. Sounds like a pain, but its only temporary, and hey, any riding is better than no riding.

You can also try some of that sealant for auto cooling systems. I think thats what was in mine, and it worked all last year. I don't think it could hurt any.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mullet,

My sled has quit leaking. i tighten the clamp on it and have ridden it bit. I think the clamp vibrated back into place and has sealed itself up. It has been very cold here and no leaks. Ridding it no leaks. So I think i am ok.

Hope you get yours fixed!

·
Burn Baby Burn !!
768 Posts
if you guys plant on keeping it that way i suggest you put a temp gauge if you dont have one already.

i installed one on my old 89 pantera, i was sick of seeing that idiot light and prayed it would come on when it needed to.

so i got myslef a car temps gauge with lighting from canadian tire for 30$ cdn and and instaleld it in place of the idiot light sensor.. now i know when the sled is warmed up and if soemthing goes wrong i can see it coming.

it's a better alternative than that stpuid idiot light thats tells you the engine if cooked when it comes on and your too late :mad:

if you guys want pics i can take some and show you. it looks cute

:)

fr0st

1 - 6 of 6 Posts