Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all... im currently riding a 71 ski doo olympique 399 "great sled". My father in law is a vintage "mad man" and picked up a slide suspension for the sled. However the bogie is in decent condition and I like riding in deep powder "mid-minnesota" bout 2ft deep. Its been awesome so far and wonder if the Slide suspension will have negative affect on my ride?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh.. he owns the sled and is kinda insistent type.. and i dont wanna say no if in fact its a good move?

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
As far as handling goes, slide rail suspension could be a big improvement.

What did he get it out of? If it's significantly newer than the sled it could be a complicated swap, not to mention kind of pointless.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Ok that shouldn't be too hard, but you won't really gain much by swapping the suspension except experience.

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
I would do the swap personally ... bogies went the way of the Dodo for a reason. I have owned a 1971 Olympic ( bogie ) and a 1973 TNT ( slides ) and there is no comparison on which had a better ride.... and you didn't have to stop every 15 minutes to flip the bogies back over ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bogie flip over? haven't had that yet.. i've been giving it alil hell here and there, but forsure if its gonna help with the trail bumps thats a huge plus.!

·
Fool Injected
210 Posts
It will happen and when your up to your elbows trying to flip them over on the side of the trail you will remember this thread.. lol

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
I would do the swap personally ... bogies went the way of the Dodo for a reason. I have owned a 1971 Olympic ( bogie ) and a 1973 TNT ( slides ) and there is no comparison on which had a better ride.... and you didn't have to stop every 15 minutes to flip the bogies back over ...
Oh slide-rail is definately better than bogies, but the ride quality of a '71 Olympique is kind of a moot point.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Slide rail suspensions ride and handle better, but bogies are better in marginal/low snow conditions. Some feel they're a little better in deep powder, too. My old Olympic sure did well in powder- it rarely got stuck, and never so I couldn't extract it by myself. That old sled carried me over many, many miles of fields, woods, and frozen rivers.

If it's doing what it needs to do, you ought to keep it original.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doesn't anyone remember the Silver Submarine (Bullet)? It had those early sliders. Just plain garbage. Would need a push on a hard packed trail.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Doesn't anyone remember the Silver Submarine (Bullet)? It had those early sliders. Just plain garbage. Would need a push on a hard packed trail.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Do you mean the 2-piece, "articulated" slide rails?? I had a T'NT with those. In the time I owned it; it may have accumulated a total of 10 trail miles. Literally! Never got it to work right, the sled finally ended up boned-out for parts because my friends and I got so sick of farting around with it!!

·
Catfan
393 Posts
Ski doo kept the boogie wheel suspension until i beleive either 95 or 96. On it's Elan. I have a snowmobile line up video for the 1995 ski doos and they where bragging about it being the only boogie wheel suspenion left in the industry. i have a 67 olympic and a 74 jd400 both with boogies i personally like them better for powder. I also like the slides ont eh 73 chargers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
suspension change on polaris indy 500 SKS

I have a 95 polaris indy 550 SKS. How hard is it to take the old suspension out and put a xtra 10 suspension in?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you mean the 2-piece, "articulated" slide rails?? I had a T'NT with those. In the time I owned it; it may have accumulated a total of 10 trail miles. Literally! Never got it to work right, the sled finally ended up boned-out for parts because my friends and I got so sick of farting around with it!!
I don't remember how they were built but it was crap. It was a real nice looking sled but like you say I got tired of pushing it so I parted it out. What I should have done was put bogies under it .

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Ski doo kept the boogie wheel suspension until i beleive either 95 or 96. On it's Elan. I have a snowmobile line up video for the 1995 ski doos and they where bragging about it being the only boogie wheel suspenion left in the industry
I never knew that, that's interesting. I don't think that's something to brag about though.. :laugh:

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
I have a 95 polaris indy 550 SKS. How hard is it to take the old suspension out and put a xtra 10 suspension in?
Yes, you'll get more responses and be more popular. There are many threads on the subject where you can find out everything you need to know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts