Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we haven't had any snow here for the past couple of weeks and I thought it would be a good time to check out the bearings and suspension from the several hundred miles I've done so far this year.

I just bought this sled in November from Michigan so we would have a "family sled". It's an 02 Panther

So I pulled the skid out and was going through it and thought, as the last touch I should put the new wear strips on the rails cause they are just sitting in the garage dying to go on anyways..plus I have the skid out!! so it makes the job 10fold easier!

The worst portion of the current strips were about 10.6mm on the curve, (AC recommends 10.7mm at any points) so I figured lets' do it. So I pounded the strip back and come to find out the curved portion of the aluminum rail is worn because some previous owner ran it down to the bone!!! Then put a new wear strip on and called it a done deal.. UnBelievable!! So I have never in my lifetime of snowmobiling done this and I tried to search it and couldn't find anything.. AC recommends replacement if any part is damaged, worn excessively in any way etc... we have all read it.. But a new slide rail will not be inexpensive.

So my question to the experts is.. Should I replace the rails or is it acceptable to put the new strips on and run it?? It's not worn down to the point where the lip of the rail is gone that holds the strips on, but the aluminum is def. worn down. Appreciate any advice, cause I can't make up my mind and now the snow is HERE!

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,133 Posts
I've tossed slides on and called it a day before. If you feel fine doing that, well, toss them on. Otherwise you will be replacing rails.

If you think about it, it really won't hurt that much.

·
Registered
142 Posts
yup just put them on and forget about it thats what i have done to my sled. but one that i just bought the lip was actually not the except on both ends so nothing is holding the sliders on in the middle. just dont worry bought it and have fun!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts