Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the sleds I have knowen and some of the fun we had.

My first ever sled was bought new in Febuary 1971 it got to 67F the day I brought it home and was able to put 4 miles on it before I left for a week of work.

1971 Mercury rocket CCW engine 339 cc 25 HP.

For the next winter I bought a 1972 Artic Cat Puma in August of 1971. Got tired of thre broken cleats I was for ever changeing out.

My brother bought a 1972 Chaparral Firebird SS 440. thgat was one fast sled for those times in the 440 class. it would fowl plugs like crazy no matter the heat range if he rode very slow. Then stuck with a cylinder not fireing and a 4 corner gas station haveing only one NGK plug that fit. He started running 1 champion plug and one NGK plug and for some reason it worked. Always said it was the compition between the plugs.

He had a problem with the carb in about 1974 and it had to be replaced, never had a fowled plug after that. Sold it to a neighbour and he was letting his kids putt around the yard on the thing.

:D Al

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There were several reasons there were not many pictures taken back in the day we were rideing those sleds. If you carried them out side of the snowmobile suit the film winders would freeze up. If you carried them in your suit the lens would instantly fog up then freeze the fog.

Add in the fee to get pictures devloped even the crappy ones that were blurry, to dark or washed many times because of all the white.

Figure my brother got most of the pictures that were taken. He had a SLR camera and had several lens and filters for it. He would carry in a small canvas bag and when we stopped he would set it on a small chunk of board he carried that would set on a warm engine to thaw the frozen lens out.

·
Super Moderator
17,076 Posts
Been there, done that ;) I still have eight 35mm cameras and probably 20 lenses, worth a bunch a while ago, now not worth the postage to mail them to someone! Now it's all digital off the smart phone. Sometimes I miss those days. But not paying for the blurry, out of focus pictures of my thumb!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My first snowmobile was 1972 MF Ski Whiz 500 - twin fan cooled.

Something like below... Ya. Technology was much different back then.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope don't use a smart phone camera, infact I do not own a smart phone.

I have a really old Kodac digital camera I can carry on the sled a DX model some thing like 3 X zoom.

I have a Cannon rebel T6 that is my summer show camera, bought because it has a view finder. Know how hard it is to find a camera with a view finder today? Try to use it in the sun, that sun washed screen really sucks.

Yes I have a historically plated car we show.

Didn't know that the MF Ski Whiz came on the market that early. Sort of figured about the same time as the Suki's did.
What engines did they use?

I have a collection of Massey Harris tractors the company that bought Fergonson and made the name Massey Fergerson.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Been there, done that ;) I still have eight 35mm cameras and probably 20 lenses, worth a bunch a while ago, now not worth the postage to mail them to someone! Now it's all digital off the smart phone. Sometimes I miss those days. But not paying for the blurry, out of focus pictures of my thumb!
Sounds like me and my mom with all the lenses we have. But we sold all our 35mm stuff a long time ago when it was still worth something but kept some of the lenses since they still fit on the DSLR line to this day. One day I will buy some of the White Luxury Line Canon makes, that and I want a Sigma 150-600mm REALLY BAD! lol Both of us are Canon Addicts and both of us have been published in a Magazine in my case or books in her case. Some of her pics have even won her stuff off of sites and some groups of Facebook. Mine I just got lucky with a shot I took at EAA Airventure that I go to every year since it is only 1.5 hours to Oshkosh from the house.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I looked it up and they started out useing the JLO engine from Germany. If I got the right information the MF 500 was a 399CC machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts