Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to ride in Central, Northern and Western Mts. Maine. Any suggestions on good day riding areas and to ride with others. Seems most of my riding buddies are slacking on their "priorities" of winter hobbies...haha. I am familiar with katahdin, moosehead, and Island falls areas. As well as Bangor and surrounding towns. If you know me and see this post, get off your a** and lets go.

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
I'm in the foothills over Farmington/Wilton area and we ride 3-4 times a week. There is about 4 or 5 of us that do this regularly and were always game to have another rider..the more the merrier..right? We usually head up towards Rangeley or over towards Skowhegan way and anytime you'd like to join us to get in a little riding in a different area shoot me a message.

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
Unfortunately we don't have enough snow yet, everyone is chomping at the bit to get out there. Before that big rain storm we had there was more snow then now but I expect that within the next week or two we'll be riding on a nice base. And your welcome for the invite, always great to meet up with fellow enthusiasts that you meet on the internet. I've made some super friends that way. Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Conditions after the snowstorm

Fiiiiiiiiiinally!! SNOW! How are the conditions on the trails around the Belgrade-Leeds area? Are the lakes frozen up? Coming up this weekend for my first trip of 2011. There will be a group of us meeting up at Pike's Oasis if you are interested.

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
I'm certainly interested but I hate to be the bearer of bad news I think your going to find it really crappy...I could be wrong but I doubt it. We only had about 4-8" om the ground to start then add this 8-12" and its a base, now we need a storm. The trails should be passable but bony IMO. I'll be checking on them today and post-up on it tonight

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
Trails are still bony in the Farmintion area but riding is still being done. One more decent snowfall and we'll be styling. Right now you still have to thread your way around, hopefully in another week we'll be all set.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the updates!

I actually had a chance to get out there this weekend. I'm not a pro at this but it would be nice if we could share info about the local area without having to jump to each club's website.

Rode out across Torsey Pond into Mt Vernon. Snow was good enough for riding on without overheating. The new trail at the northern tip of Torsey no longer matches the map although I could not find a newer map in the stores. So it may be updated. Rode To Pikes Oasis with better than expected conditions. Some boney spots so you have to be carefull. 115 from Pikes into Monmouth was good. The power lines are not worth riding at all. Some of it is closed, most of it is wind blown, and all of it is snirt. If you ride smart, slow, and respect the trails, you could have a decent day.

If anyone has updates please post!

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
I now own a house in Wilton by Titcomb Ski Slope but a few years back I used to own a place on Cobbosse(Monmouth), and before that I also lived in Mt Vernon(back in the mid 80's) and while living in Mt. Vernon I worked part-time at Kents Hill School ski slope and we pumped water out of Torsey to make snow for the ski slope, anyway once this up coming week end goes by you should go from Pikes towards Livermore/Jay and pick up ITS89 which is the old narrow gauge RR bed and will run you right up into Farmington we can meet up and then ride up to Avon/Phillips area..re-fuel and then head on up to Rangeley grab a bite to eat & a drink then ride back. I say after this up coming week end because of 2 reason's #1 it Rangeley's "SNOWDEO" weekend and it'll be a zoo up there #2 snow tonight(Tues.) and its also supposed to snow Sat. so come Mon...Tues. trails should be great.

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
We ended up getting a honest 8" but then at the end we got some freezing rain over it and that packed it down to about 6" which is good because were supposed to get another 2-4" this afternoon, then on Fri. they say another "plowable amt" of snow -- YEEE HAWW its about time winter is doing the right thing! Stay in touch and we'll chat just before you head up and try to make some plans.

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
We got about 8-10" on Fri. and Wed were supposed to get another storm. Trails are now open and they are finally grooming. the season looks like even though it started late its going to be fine. Keep me posted as to whether or not your going to be coming up and when you do we'll try to hook up and do a day ride or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
108 today

we hit the trails today...were you out? wilton to weld to some place near carthage,ran into some new groomed trails that were not marked. then back to weld for lunch at school variety, met Kevin, the owner, then back on its 89 by varnum pond to its 82 ,back to jay... i can leave from my door yard and pick up the r r bed.. we didn't see many sleds, 12 at the most, all day. MT. Blue trails look great, lot of grooming this week. would like to take a ride to rangeley one of these days, keep me in mind..thanks jim,

·
Sledaholic
135 Posts
Glad to hear your getting in a few miles. We were out Saturday and did a small loop, we rode from Wilton to New Sharon on into Starks over to Clearwater lake, from Clearwater lake we took what they call the Sap Line back into Farmington. When we hit Farmington we stopped at Front Street Tavern for a burger(best 10oz burger in Franklin County) and there was at least 12 sleds there. This Tues. into Wed. night were supposed to get hammered with snow and if we do then maybe Sat. about 10am or so if the trails are groomed we might take a ride up to Rangeley, if we decide to I'll post up about it on Thurs. Pray for snow....Dennis

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello fellow Mainahs.

I'm new on here (today). Looking around and figured I would say hi. I'm in Central Maine, Newport area and the trails around here are getting better with every inch of snow we get. Anyone in the area? I'm always looking for people to ride with seeing how not many of my friends have sleds or they don't like to go on long rides like I do....wussies! lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stud Mill Road is a good place to go. Aint got a sled but I use my uncles 77 Jag when I got ice fishing and me and my dad are working on his 81 Bravo right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Northern Maine is excellent

My wife and I just put on 356 miles in two days. Left Schoodic Lake just North of Milo, and ran up to Portage (Dean's place) on 23 February, 172 miles. The next day, got up and took another route back to Schoodic Lake, 184 miles. There wasn't one bad trail. They have picked up about another foot of snow since then, so it has to be heaven now. Hope to get back up there next week. The trails were the best I have seen them in a long time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looking to ride in Central, Northern and Western Mts. Maine. Any suggestions on good day riding areas and to ride with others. Seems most of my riding buddies are slacking on their "priorities" of winter hobbies...haha. I am familiar with katahdin, moosehead, and Island falls areas. As well as Bangor and surrounding towns. If you know me and see this post, get off your a** and lets go.
I ride jackman everyone weekend in the winter and it's amazing what ever u do stay away from greenville never had luck with it it always sucked

1 - 20 of 26 Posts