Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '94 ZR580 and went to use it for the first time this season last night. Ran beautifully and I got half way around the yard when it stopped. It still runs perfect but just won't advance forward at all? Belt is not broke but the rear clutch can now be spun by hand and I don't think I could do that before. Do I have a chain drive and maybe it snapped?

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know much about the sled and hope you guys can shed some light for me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Very good chance it's a broken chain. Which is on the opposite side as the clutch, probably have to remove the exaust to get to it. should be a drain plug under belly pan to drain chaincase oil. Then just remove the chaincase cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
first thing you need is a manual. I would open and inspect the clutches. did your speedo quit working, if yes this is an indication that the drive bearing went out, mine eats one every thousand miles.good luck

·
Registered
60 Posts
ZR580, If your sled is eating bearings every 1000 miles, sounds to me like you might have a problem with either clearences or a bent shaft. Just my 2 cents.... Dan

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
YOU DON'T NEED A MANUAL TO CHECK THE CHAIN AND SPROCKETS, JUST PULL THE COVER OFF. IF THE CHAIN DID BREAK INSPECT THE COVER TO SEE IF IT GOT BUSTED WHEN THE CHAIN LET GO. YOUR PROBLEM COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS THE CHAIN BEING TOO LOSE AN MAY JUST BE JUMPING OVER THE SPROKETS.
JUST BESURE TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE CASES DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO BREAK THEM IF THE CHAIN BREAKS.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
FENDRGUY YOU ARE JUST TOO HUMANE, I CAN THINK OF A BETTER PLACE:p :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts