Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I did something stupid - but alas, I can't figure it out. I have a 2000 MXZ 600. Sled was running a little rough (I was told) and someone at the dealer said, "pilot valve is funked up".

Brought it home, took the carbs off and cleaned em' thoroughly. Put em' back with all the chokes and throttle cables identically set. Main jet and pilot air screw all the way in - hand tight - then 1 & 1/2 turns back out.

Even took apart the RAVE valves and gave them a good cleaning. Put em' back together much better than before.

First pull, ran like a TOP. Smooth. I was blown away. After 30 or 40 seconds, I turned it off to go get my gloves and helmet. NOW: Won't start at all. I've pulled it 50 times. Choke on 1/2. Choke on full. No choke. Let it sit. Pull, pull, pull. NOTHING.

Any thoughts?

(Only other thing, which I can't see having an impact, was the starter recoil stopped grabbing to start the sled. Brought that to dealer and got it fixed, put it on and it's grabbing great - just now that the engine is turning over, it won't even cough or sputter. Little red key light flickers. I make sure the tether cord is on good... Nuthin').

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
start

you need to run through the standard checklist.

check spark first on all jugs

if spark, what is condition of plugs. switch for new.

with the plugs out, turn off or disconnect gas line, and pull over a zillion times to clear out gas if flooded.

next prime carbs directly with some premix, since you have spark it should fire.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much guys. Hey. Quick question re plugs: Is there a way to figure out of a plug is firing optimally? Measure how hot the spark is - or is it an "On or Off" situation?

I used to swap out plugs after every few rides, thinking I would run faster/better with a brand new plug. But, if I only rode 200 miles or something and clean the plug off, is it still "Okay".

Obviously, the gap needs to be right and the spark components need to be clean/good shape ...

Just curious. Thanks again.

·
Registered
170 Posts
ive owned many mxzs of that era they are very reliable.(preprimein carbs ai allways a good idea. (next time) i feel since it ran 40sec and not warmed up its just ulta flooded. see it alot when people start cold sled and forget to take choke off. to my knoledge there is no crank drain so ya pull plugs turn off fuel and pull like hell. also try heatin plugs a bit w tourch or lighter, or new plugs. i bet its fine. p.s i usually changed plugs once or twice a yr those sleds are not usually fowlers. BR9ECS not BR9ES common mistake

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!! Curious, dealer says it should be a BR9ES. What's the difference and why does the dealer have it wrong?

·
Registered
170 Posts
i just reread my post. i apologise i went dislexic. BR9ES is your plug. BR9ECS is 2002 or newer. ski doo folks mix that up alot the Ecs plug is dished alittle different im not sure why. i have seen sleds run w both plugs but foul more. best to stay w recomended. again not sure why. Gap for BR9ES is .18 ngks seem to be good out of box but never hurts to check

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, this is just crazy. Took old plugs out - pumped it 50 or 70 times. Put new plugs in, the BR9ES, gapped em' at .018. Nothing. Tested to see if they're getting spark and I don't think they are. I have an "in line" tester that lights up when the charge is sent to plug and ...it ain't lighting up. Neither as far as I can tell. I unscrewed the plug, kept the wire to it and tried to hold it against the motor but really can't while trying to pull it ...to see if it sparks.

Let's say they aren't sparking. What is likely the culprit? I had some weird issues where the tether cord needs to be replaced (it's missing a metal piece up inside the rubber cap that gets pressed on to the) but it certainly RAN, and ran damn good. Never ever was it like this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay. I guess it was a little bright outside when I tested the spark earlier - it does spark, or light up the tester, but, not much. I'm going to go take off the airbox, take out the plugs, put a clamp on the fuel line, pull the starter cord 50 times and ...pray!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay; it starts and idles but won't rev up enough to move around much. I'm back to that ^%$#@! tether cord issue. Ever heard of anybody "cutting" out the tether from the circuit? I am willing to risk having someone just come and start it up. I can't ride it without getting it to dealer, dropping it off for a couple weeks and paying $100 - for a %^%$$##! plastic/rubber/metal tether cord nipple.

·
Registered
170 Posts
if sled starts and idles but when u try to rev it it bogs sputters and wont move. you mite see a flickerin red lite on dash. not sure on 2000. thats your d.e.s.s cord. try startin it and wigglein that plug it mite work. no way to my knoledge to overide it. dont put cleaner in plug. that chip part may come off. maybee litely wipe w dry rag. but try just to wiggle it wile its idleing. i think this is a seperat issue from flooded crank good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
170 Posts
P.s remember w that system you cant borrow a friends ripcord or just get a new one. they are incripted to brainbox and can only be set at a dealer for that sled. ya i dont like it either. so if its not for that sled it wont work. so look in plug make sure it has a small raised chip lookin thing on conection point. install and wiggle it

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm. Maybe I'll try that, but, would have to think ---based on everything I am reading about the importance/reliance on the correct programmed tether key ---that disconnecting the DESS post will not allow it to run

I wish I understood what the flashing red "key" light sequence means on the dashboard. Sometimes it's a quick constant flash, 2 or 3 times per second, on and on. Then you wiggle the tether around and it goes out for a bit but then flashes once a second to a second-and-a-half....

I bought a new DESS post. New kill switch. The Ski Doo dealer can't "connect" their equipment to the sled and they just mock me "Ahhh, the sleds a piece of crap. Might be a wiring issue or the MPEM. I'm not going to start chasing the wiring issue".

I've heard in forums that there may be a short somewhere. Not sure how to check that - other than checking every single wire.

Any way of testing the MPEM box on the bench to see if it's okay? Don't want to spend $270 to get a new one if it's not the problem.

Daaaaaaaaaaaang this is so frustrating.

·
Registered
170 Posts
unfortunatly 2000s are different than 97s i dont know of anyway to overide security systems. the post is just a connector. but you wont run w a new kill cord if they cant program it. does your old cord have a chip in it? its a star lookin thing. not sure or lite code sequence but if its blinkin its not connecting. I herd from my dealer that its hard to imput that 2000 thru laptops they use handhelds to program new cords. P.s that sled is far from a piece of crap. cords have been a issue. A reputable dealer would never say that!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! Yeah, the old cord is missing the "chip". I think my dealer was just exasperated that they tried and tried to connect but couldn't and were just kindof throwing their hands up in the air. He did say, though, that the inability to connect was either the MPEM or bad wiring. MPEM is easy to check - just spend almost $300 for a new one and see if it fixes the problem. Any way to "bench test" the existing one to see if it's good or not? Also, re the wiring, whoever owned it before was a bit of a hack. Lot's of splicing going on. The old DESS was spliced in vs. installing it into the wiring harness as original. Anyhow, I'm hoping to see some kind of wiring diagram (different than what's in the manual as that's just a ...engineering type layout, doesn't show the wiring as it sits in the sled, if you know what I mean). The reason I ask is there's a single wire, way down under the motor, that has a circular connector (barely 1/4" in diameter) that's just sitting there, hanging out in space. I have no idea where it's supposed to go... Was thinking of just grounding it somewhere on the sled as that's what it sort of looks like it wants to do - plus it doesn't have a male or female connector.

Thanks again for your help. I really do like the sled - when it ran, it ran like a bull. Has a race cannister. I put a new RipSaw track on, fixed all the missing / broken boogie wheels, put a new seat on, etc. Just hoping to be able to ride it soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MPEM!!!! I bought one on ebay with it's DESS and tether. Plugged in - RACING!!! SOOOO freakin' happy. Thanks all.

·
Sn0pro7
134 Posts
haha those frecking tether cords and security crap is a pain in the *** isn't it? every couple of rides that little securtiy key blinks on my sled and i have to wiggle the tether cord around on the plug until the light goes off and i can get the sled to move forward. anyway congrats on getting it going.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts