Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking to get a sled for our 17 year old (he's helping to pay for it). My wife wants to stick to a 340cc (or smaller) as she is concerned that larger means faster therefore easier to crash.

I don't think size matters as you can crash any sled if you aren't careful. My concern is a 340cc sled might not be large enough for him on hills, etc. He weighs 128 pounds if that matters.

He will be doing mostly trail riding in NH. Some of the hills around us are fairly steep.

What thoughts can anyone provide us?

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
440 or a 500. what you said is exactly true about you can crash any sled... i would be more concerned with making sure he can control it, having a good track, brakes and carbides, if you are worrying about crashing. if he's responsible, he should be able to control the sled well enough if it's larger than a 340

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
Yea 340 might be a little small. My friend had one and it could barely make it up some hills, but hes a bigger guy. I think if hes a smart and safe rider he could easily be riding a 440 or 500. They are great sleds for all around use. Most brands make great smaller sized sleds also. I know a kid with an arctic cat z 440 and its a nice sled, light, peppy, and a fun sled. I think even an indy trail 500 would be perfect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i am 16 and ride a rev 600. gets up hills great and has the speed you want on trails. last year i had a rev 440 and it was snappy and fun, made it up hills ok but not as well as the 600. all sleds are dangerous if you want them to be. its kinda like the the saying "guns don't kill people we do" saying.

·
Super Moderator
17,303 Posts
I feel that your son will quickly outgrow a 340, and if there's no one in the family that is younger/smaller/less experienced to learn on that sled, you have a sled that has limited use in your family. For trail use, the liquid 440's do very well, the Indy 500 is VERY dependable with a bit more power. Both would do great for a newer rider.

·
Chitown Rider
812 Posts
He seems responsible enough to invest money in the sport so he's probably responsible enough to not want to break his investment by crashing it.

A 340cc sled would be fine for first sled but he would need a new one very quickly therefore making it a poor investment.

A 17 year old can ride a 440cc up to 500cc safely but still need more probably next season.

600cc sled would be his dream and if he's someone you trust to listen to you when you tell him that this can kill him (so can all sleds even baby ones). Then go for it.

my 0.02

·
Registered
269 Posts
Its all about how much you trust him. I am 16 turning 17 soon and have a 550 fan, which is good but see I already want to move up to a 600. I think he will want bigger then a 340 very quickly.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Also exactly like TRAXX822 said if he pays for it he will be careful. I paid for my sled and I know I always think before I do anything on it.

·
Trevor
4,135 Posts
I started out on my Indy 500, which i wasnt 100% bored of it yet. Id say an Indy 500 l/c would be great.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
I agree a340 too small already, and a 440 will be too! Unless you have another to pass it down too? I'd get him a 600 and always ride with him! Show him how to ride by example! Let him know it's OK to open it up in places!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is how I explained to my 13 & 15 year old sons when they wanted to start riding mine:

If you think your big enough to drive em solo, then fine, but know this, a new hood and winshield is at least $350, a new set of ski's is around $150, and a track can be $500.
These things can break with a little roll-over, riding over a hidden tree stump, a broken metal fence post.. And this is before you even go faster than 40 mph.. you break it, because you wanted to be foolish, then I sell your computers, or your Xbox, or your ipods to pay for the parts...

Man.. they were afraid to cross the driveway.. LMAO (they jump it on their quads, it's only a little rump) So if your son is investing in a machine, then go a little bigger than you 1st thought, it won't dissapoint him once he masters the basics. just my thoughts

·
Registered
37 Posts
500 or 600 liquid would be fine as long as its not being used to race and impress the world

·
Registered
511 Posts
He 's 17? I think a 600 would hit it right on the dot. He will never out grow it. If I was 17 I would probably be embaressed to be seen on 340!!! LOL

·
Registered
215 Posts
an arctic cat thundercat 1000 would be decent. No problem getting up hills.
JakeBraker <------- This is your son right? or prolly one of his buddies?? :laugh::cheeky4:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I ride with 3 younger kids, 12,14, and 15. The girl 14 rides a MXZ 600, the 12 rides a odd looking bob tailed Ski Doo of somesort, 600 also I think the 15 rides a 800. These kids grew up on them though and they can ride. My daughters 14 she rides my Indy 580 tripple and can keep up with the best of them on trails on a 500 Magnum Polaris Quad, give her a little more time on the 580 she'll keep up on that to.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My kids have Indy 500 l/c's and they are 13 and 9. I started them out on 340's, 377, and 440's. They were ready for bigger within a few weeks of riding. I also stressed to them the impotance of safety, enrolled them in a course and make them pay for repairs caused by recklessness. Go bigger and ride with him for a while.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The right 440 can be fun, but a 500 or 600 is probably the best bet. The sled is only as dangerous as it's being ridden. A 340 can go 50mph and crash just as easily... not the best way to expain to a mom, I know. We just got our 8yo son a 340 and he's doing good learning on it. (just in our front field this year!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts