Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a late 80's or up to 1999 sled. I am more concerned with reliability and suspension rather than power. Most of my riding will be on Priest Lake Idaho trails, and for me I don't really need to go fast, average speed around 30-40 with 50-60 being pretty much max. I also want something that is DIY friendly, that is designed for ease of repair and maintenance.

I like Polaris for quality, but the 1995 600 triple I have has proved to be difficult to work on. The 1998 'Cat Zl500, that I have has great suspension, plenty of power, and although it seems to be a bit cheaply built compared to the Polaris, it is MUCH easier to work on. Not sure about the reliability, dealing with a stator issue on it now.

So essentially looking for recommendations on a 340-500 twin, suspension, reliability, fuel mileage, and easiest to work on, best fuel mileage, in that order.

·
Registered
24,890 Posts
Well I would have to recommend the 98-99 ZR 500-600 EFI and add ESR!
It would be the easyist to work on, one of THE best suspensions (it has been compared to for more than 10 years)
I've had a couple and yeah they are real easy to work on, never had any issues with stators till 2000?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, those are good sleds and there are quite a few around. After further though I am thinking I want to get a 1990's 340, since the ZL500 and xlt600 triple are plenty fast for me and sadly I can only ride one at a time. The 340 would probably be mostly by beginning riders who I take out or as a backup for myself should I need it. So what are your recommendations for a 340 ....1990's....with the best factory suspension or maybe easily upgraded?

·
Super Moderator
16,928 Posts
Arctic Cat made a 370 fan back in the 90's, it had more power and a better suspension than the other manufacturers had at the time. Better is a relative term, the new suspensions are night and day different than the 90's. But early 90s are a lot worse than later 90's. You will be hampered by what is available, too.

Good luck in the search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts