Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m new here. I purchased my snow machine almost 10 years ago. It’s a 900 expedition skidoo. Out of the 10 years I must have purchased a battery every year to every second year. I have always had problems with it. This year it won’t start again. I put a booster on my battery and it says that it’s charged. I also started it a month or 2 ago no problems. Could it be because it has been -25 here for almost a week. Everything turns on it just won’t turn over. It’s a 4 stroke machine so I don’t have a pull cord for it. I’m thinking of boosting it with another skidoo when the weather warms up a bit. Just looking for some tips on how to manage my battery so I don’t have to buy a new one every year. Thanks in Advanced.

·
Registered
362 Posts
might be a diff issue this time if battery shows charged , could be starter sol or relay , do you hear any clicking when you try to start it

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
When not in use have the battery cables disconnected if possible from the snowmobile. Have a maintenance or "trickle" charger for it like the one below from schumacher. Great thing to have when you own batteries like this. This will keep it charged year round so it might last longer. Also instead of the "cheap" fill with battery acid style they make them in AGM style as well. I end up buying a battery every 2-4 years doing it this way. I keep one of these on my vehicles year round. You can do either one and it will work. The first one is left on the vehicle or snowmobile if you don't feel like disconnecting the battery cables you just pop the hood and plug this in and it charges automatically.

2nd link is the cheaper way to go and also has a quick disconnect as well it looks like

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When not in use have the battery cables disconnected if possible from the snowmobile. Have a maintenance or "trickle" charger for it like the one below from schumacher. Great thing to have when you own batteries like this. This will keep it charged year round so it might last longer. Also instead of the "cheap" fill with battery acid style they make them in AGM style as well. I end up buying a battery every 2-4 years doing it this way. I keep one of these on my vehicles year round. You can do either one and it will work. The first one is left on the vehicle or snowmobile if you don't feel like disconnecting the battery cables you just pop the hood and plug this in and it charges automatically.

2nd link is the cheaper way to go and also has a quick disconnect as well it looks like

I will definitely invest in one of those. I never heard of that before. My friends never have problems with their battery. Thank you for the links and ur help 😊

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I have the first one installed on mine and my parents vehicles for nights like tonight and the past few days. -30 wind chills with temps -10 to -20F. Definitely saves our vehicle batteries and keeps them charged so we know when we go out we have a starting vehicle ready and don't have to try & jump start in that cold weather. Using that system on our vehicles usually gives us 6-8 years out of a car battery vs 3-5 so it is worth it in the long run.

And for the snowmobile I have with EFI the battery comes out when not in use so it stays on that trickle charger pretty much year round when not in use.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
I have switched all my sleds (with a battery) over to lawn mower batteries
Cheaper and more cranking amps!
Put your battery charger on it or jumper cables from your car and try it

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Roll the clutch by hand a few times to loosen up the motor. I know, it is hard, but necessary evil of starting machines in sub-zero temperatures.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I highly suggest a trickle charger as stated on the other posts. I had same issues with my 2 sleds than purchased 2 chargers, hooked up the pig tails to each battery so all's I have to do is plug the quick connectors together and their charging. My sleds sit idle during the week but on the chargers and when the weekend comes and it's time to ride they always fire up. I use basic Yuasa acid filled batteries and get min. 2 years and have even gotten 3 yrs. out of them. In closing, a decent quality 1.5 amp ( or close to ) charger should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I do this with all my toys. Snowmachines and ATVs. They all have some way of charging the battery when they sit.

·
Registered
26,724 Posts
I just pulled the batteries from the Exmarks and put in Pantera
If you use them all the time they can last!
My Mini truck came with lawn mower battery and I used it 4 years and no idea how old it was when I got it!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I highly suggest a trickle charger as stated on the other posts. I had same issues with my 2 sleds than purchased 2 chargers, hooked up the pig tails to each battery so all's I have to do is plug the quick connectors together and their charging. My sleds sit idle during the week but on the chargers and when the weekend comes and it's time to ride they always fire up. I use basic Yuasa acid filled batteries and get min. 2 years and have even gotten 3 yrs. out of them. In closing, a decent quality 1.5 amp ( or close to ) charger should do the trick.

A trickle charge is the WORST thing you can do. A trickle charger is old technology. It is always putting voltage on the battery. It never shuts off and overcharges the battery. In the motorcycle world, there were way to many people killing batteries because of using a trickle charger. You need a battery maintainer like the ones Coolhand is showing. These are designed to turn off the power when it senses a set voltage. If the battery drops below a set voltage, it turns back on until the upper voltage is reached. I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender for over 30 years on all my motorcycle/ATV/and snowmobile batteries. I normally get about 8 years of service from them by using a Battery Tender. It is hooked up to the battery when not in use and the whole off season. The battery in my Goldwing just hit 10 years old. It is starting to work hard to start the bike. I will be replacing it this riding season.

A lot of people call battery maintainers trickle chargers just like Coolhand did. This just confuses people because trickle chargers are still sold. They go get a trickle charger because they are cheap and kill their batteries.

Another thing to look at is how is the battery put into service. If it comes dry, to get the full life out of it, it needs to be set up as follows.

Put the acid in the battery and let it sit for a half hour, an hour is better. Put the cap on and put it on a 1 amp charger if you have one overnight. A 2 amp will work, but a 1 amp is better. They need the slow charge when putting them into service. The directions that come with the battery will tell you how long. DO NOT USE a battery maintainer for this! A maintainer is not a charger for a dead battery. It will not bring it up to a full charge. It is designed to maintain a fully charged battery. The directions that come with the maintainer will tell you this. After fully charged, put it in to service.

Another question is what weight of oil are you using? Skidoo calls for 0W40 oil in their ACE motors. You need that 0 weight for the cold starts.

Another thing to look at is do you have any accessories that have a slight power draw? My 600 ACE has a clock in the interment pod. It has a very slight power draw. Over time, it will drain down the battery. That is why I keep it on a maintainer in the off season.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Trickle charge is better than no charge.

Yes, a maintainer is better. I've got a couple of older trickle chargers that put out a steady 12.7 volts. These don't over-charge at all.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
No I said have a Maintenance charger or "trickle" charger for it. Schumacher has been known to call those trickle chargers as well. I know what I use and posted is a Maintenance charger and FYI if you type in "trickle charger" on Amazon or eBay it comes up with those Maintenance chargers I listed or ones similar. Lots of makers call them fully automatic trickle chargers.

"Have a maintenance or "trickle" charger for it like the one below from schumacher."

·
Registered
419 Posts
Guys, I did not mean to offend or ruffle any feathers. Sorry if I did.

The term "Trickle Charger" had been used for an automatic maintenance or battery tender for years. I just wanted to point out that a true trickle charger does not turn off. It keeps supplying power and will kill the life of the battery if left on all the time or in the off season. A maintainer or tender shuts off the power and only turns on if needed to maintain a full charge. We need to just get the term "Trickle Charger" out of our vocabulary and call a maintainer/tender what it is so people do not get confused.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts