Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been a member for only a little while and I love the information on this site. I was hoping someone might be able to help with an issue I'm having. I have a 92 Polaris indy500 and I replaced the spring (slp black), helix 38-34 and buttons last year but never got to ride it to see the effects. This year I finally got it out and it takes off really well, but when on stretches with open throttle in some deeper wet snow the engine would bog down to 6K like it wasn't downshifting. It doesn't happen all the time but enough to make me think there is a problem. Thanks again hope someone can set me right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try changing your spring setting in your secondary to the number 4 hole
I found mine would not hold fulll RPM under load (Deep Snow) untill I changed it to the highest setting. It was almost like night and day
Hope this helps
Good luck

·
Registered
623 Posts
Something isnt set right - maybe the spring you got is too soft and wont allow you to backshift quickly like it should. In my past experienced, sometimes aftermarket brands do not do wells on some sleds for some reason. Personally, I stick with Polaris helixes because they work the best. I dont care for SLP brand helexes ... WL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, yeah it seems the most noticeable when I was trenching through deep wet snow. I might try tightening up the spring and see what happens. I have a rally this weekend so ill give it a try then. Thanks again for your help. If it doesn't change ill try the stock helix again

·
Registered
623 Posts
Indyspefi - if youre using aftermarket helix - that could be the problem. Heres what I experienced in the past. Ill give you two examples. When I used to have my '98 XC7 - stock helix was straight 36. and I was pulling at 8k fullshift. I was told to run 50/36 and it would be a big improvement for that sled. I went and bought r12, no problem. Then I got into racing so I was recommented to get SLP because you can change the degrees by adding shims (ie: each shim, you can decrease by 2 degrees - say I buy 50/36, one shim plus snap ring = 50/36. 2 shims plus snap ring = 48/36 and 3 shims = 46/36 - 3 shims is all I am allow to go) That helix sucked on my XC7, even though the final degree 36 will not bring my final revs to 8k. I lost power no matter what I did. And another example - in my '01 XCR, I have this 38X (hot seats hypershift) and it pulls so hard at 8.5k - 8.6k - I have 2 extra helixes for trail riding. One of them is 52/36 dalton - I cant even pull beyond 8.2k revs. Best way to explain it like the LEVIS and LEE pants - it doesnt always fit to your sled's liking and thats pretty much of how SOME aftermarket helixes works. WL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just wanted to give you guys an update. I took the clutch apart, cleaned it out and set the spring to the tighter setting to try things out. The sled worked flawlessly. I put 70miles on it and never missed an beat through deeper powder and some rough ditchbanging. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.