Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just asking if anyone has put a snowmobile motor in a quad? I have a polaris quad that has been sitting with a bad motor in my yard for 2 years. and i have a good running yami 340 motor. just asking if this would be worth it or to much of a pain? my thinking is that it may be to wide for the quad.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
definately have to change jets but has been done. also seen the two hybrided into the sled chassis.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
i put a 500 cc rngine on a honda oddesey years back. That thing ripped!!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
i put a 500 cc rngine on a honda oddesey years back. That thing ripped!!
did u have problems with traction were puttin a 650 polaris triple in one just curious if u could keep it goin straight. i know the golf cart didnt handle the 440 til after 45 mph when it got traction

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
It was a hoot...in an open field. We had to lower clutch engaugment to make it rideable. It was like a midget sports car. Could just peel out into a doughnut from a dead stop.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
The honda pilot would be a better choice

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Forget the quad... take the sled, and put the quads wheels/suspension on it. leave everything on it except the track and skis. rig up a sprocket on the drive shaft and on the rear tire, to make the same ratio the track had. Add some turn signals, and you have a can-am roadster!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
thats what were afraid of kinda. be fun but wanna be able to go to. figured just regear it and wider tread

·
---------(PI488)---------
2,742 Posts
definately have to change jets but has been done. also seen the two hybrided into the sled chassis.
Me too,It has 2 front tires instead of two ski's.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i junked the tunnel and it is a single carb. what will i have to do to the jets then? bigger or smaller? if i don't put it in a quad or sell it i may build a oddesey like cage for it and use the quad tires and suspension.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Just use a hammer on the tunnel! Thats how I got the dent out of my Excel. I am pretty sure you go smaller, hotter air is thinner than cooler air. Hot air balloons rise don't they? Kind of like going in a higher altitude.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
^^^They Should^^^ Or you could block off oil pump, and run pre-mix to help some also.

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it wasn't worth the work to restore the excell. needed to much. seat was bad tunnel was really bad and rear skid needed almost everything. only thing good was track as you will see tomorrow and the motor and all wireing.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Who cares about the skid, put a wheel in there. and seats, just mod the quad seat. that aluminum bends easily with a hammer.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Forget the quad... take the sled, and put the quads wheels/suspension on it. leave everything on it except the track and skis. rig up a sprocket on the drive shaft and on the rear tire, to make the same ratio the track had. Add some turn signals, and you have a can-am roadster!
Yeah! I like the poor man's Can-Am idea!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is gone as in i no longer have it.

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Oh, well thats different. What about a go kart frame. Make it roomy with a roll cage and a windshield, you would be going FAST!

·
Rick
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes and use the quad a arms and stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts