Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2007 freestyle for my 9 year old. He’s too big for the 120cc sleds on market. He is new to sledding, is the 300 freestyle too much for a kid of this age? What are your thoughts and if any other sleds come to mind please share!

·
Super Moderator
17,198 Posts
When my sons were 7 an 10, they started on old Yamaha Enticer 300's and migrated to an AC 440 Prowler and an Indy 440. A lot will depend on your son's ability to stay within the guidelines you set out. I set a "speed limit" for the boys and they stayed under it almost all the time. If they didn't, they had to ride behind mom on the 2-up ;)

If you are concerned that there will be too much power, tape a wooden wedge behind the throttle lever so the throttle can't be depressed all the way. That's a pretty quick way of governing their speed so they can gain experience on the trails. As they get better, you can then remove the block and give them back power.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
family gatherings, I typically have 5-6 sleds running and ready to go. What sled do the 7 to 13 year olds go to? The 1999 Jag deluxe 340. Short track, light weight, and comfortable for them.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
As others have said it all depends on how big said kid is, his maturity, strength and his experience from dirt bikes, quads or anything that might cross over to a snowmobile. I started at age 2 on a kitty cat then at 6 up to a 340 then at 10 or so to a 440 fan then at 12 to liquid cooled machines. Granted I was small at those ages but I had been riding dirt bikes from age 2 as well and had a jet ski growing up as we lived right on the Kankakee River near Joliet, IL. Plus it helps when said parent is involved and takes the time to teach them right from wrong and how to properly ride safely no matter what kind of machine or powersports machine you are on. And it helps if someone can also help teach them how to properly maintain what you own as it will save you thousands in repair bills. Dad had me rebuilding chevy 350s at age 8 so he hammered into my brain that preventative maintenance is always the best thing for your machines and will save you $$$ in the long run.

Also I might suggest a DNR or some other professional training course. Many states require that you have to be a certain age before being able to ride now and must have said training certificate on their being or machine at all times along with a proper ID even if it is a state issued regular id if they are not yet 16 and have a driver's license.

Good luck with it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts