Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a used sled but not sure what sled and track size to go with.

My budget is up to $4000

I will be riding up in the Tahoe area

Here are the things that are important to me

Good fuel consumption

Reliability

Affordable Parts

Availability of after market parts

·
Registered
303 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
all depends on where you ride. if you ride the mountains your gona want a mountain sled and not a crossover. if you only ride grommed trails you gona want a short track but if you do both the crossfire is your best bet. it aldepends on where you ride

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
Buddy of mine had a 2007 Crossfire with a 144'' track...pretty capable in the mountains and still was decent on-trail.

·
Registered
315 Posts
if you are going go for deep powder all the time , summit and rmk are probably of the best .
you will want at least a 151 for deep powder and a 600's are almost always the most reilable, the 700's are very good as well and the 800's have had a few issues ( crank breakers) , if your going for a crossover (70% off trial 30% on trail) the renagade from ski doo is good , and polaris assult was rated the best crossover of the year. the crossfire is a good one too.
the doo and polaris have a rider forward feel to them while the cat is more a traditional
feel ! the yamaha,s are probably the most reliable but they are quite heavy, they are loosing more and more weight
each year, but thats the nature of a four stroke machine (heavy) . if you sink one of those you may need a helicopter on stand by to retrieve it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks rcslsafut for the info that was awesome

on CL the most of the ads for sleds are RMK 800s so that was what I was leaning towards

Is their aftermarket fix for the issues the 800s?

Here are the 3 I have been looking at

2003 RMK 800 159" track

2005 RMK 900 151" track

Their is also a summit highmark 1000 with 162" track

which one would you go with?

·
SD Rider
4,337 Posts
03 RMK 800 would be my choice. The 05 900's had a bad rep. Not sure on the exact details but I think it was crank issues.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
03 RMK 800 would be my choice. The 05 900's had a bad rep. Not sure on the exact details but I think it was crank issues.
That 900 wasn't a good motor. That's the one that gave the Fusions such a bad name.

Go with the '03.

·
Registered
315 Posts
with the early polaris 800's (2000-2005) it's not a matter of if but when is the crankshaft going to break. yes there is a fix , bigger bearings , several poeple have already done thiers . in 05 they changed the engine design , they had a lot better luck with the newer design . stay away from the 900 EVERY ONE SAYS it's a piece of sh*#
i have never heard one person say anything good about it , not even one !!!
keeping the clutch balanced is a big part of engine longevity w/the polaris 800's
the doo engines seem to be holding up well! as well as the cat larger engines too.
even the most diehard polaris fan will tell you the summit will go up the mountain higher if thats your cup -o-tea. (at least the ones i know) i like to boondock myself:)

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
with the early polaris 800's (2000-2005) it's not a matter of if but when is the crankshaft going to break. yes there is a fix , bigger bearings , several poeple have already done thiers . in 05 they changed the engine design , they had a lot better luck with the newer design . stay away from the 900 EVERY ONE SAYS it's a piece of sh*#
i have never heard one person say anything good about it , not even one !!!
keeping the clutch balanced is a big part of engine longevity w/the polaris 800's
the doo engines seem to be holding up well! as well as the cat larger engines too.
even the most diehard polaris fan will tell you the summit will go up the mountain higher if thats your cup -o-tea. (at least the ones i know) i like to boondock myself:)
What if he were to get a RMK 700? That's a decent motor, isn't it?

·
Registered
303 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, the 700 is the "good" engine.

If you are mostly doing off trail, the M7/8/1000 are the way to go.
X2.. theres a reason the M chassis has had little changes for so long.. Its rock solid.. If you can find a polaris with a 700 thats ok...

Jt

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would highly reccomend buying a 07 yamaha phazer mtx. Nice light sled with a dirt bike feel. Bullet proof 4 stroke that is great on gas. You could get a nice one for 4 grand

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would highly reccomend buying a 07 yamaha phazer mtx. Nice light sled with a dirt bike feel. Bullet proof 4 stroke that is great on gas. You could get a nice one for 4 grand
Sure if you wanna buy a turbo kit to get it above its stock 80hp so you can actually make it up a mountain in three feet of fresh..

My .02cents

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know everything that the other guys do but I've got an M7 with the attack track. With that track you go in powder where nobody else will. Also im a huge arctic cat fan but almost all my family and friends ride ski-doos. My brother in-law got an 07 800 and he does nothin but brag. His old sled was a 03 polaris 800 so with either of them you've got a winner.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Sure if you wanna buy a turbo kit to get it above its stock 80hp so you can actually make it up a mountain in three feet of fresh..

My .02cents
Lol that's true!

The dirt bike feel is exactly why I wouldn't get a Phazer. It's looks are another con in my book, but everyone has their own taste..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
we just got another 8ft of snow...

What are some good arctic cat choices?

How many miles per year is considered average?

thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts