Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son bought a 87 arctic cat 5000 , sled starts and runs will rev up after fethering the throttle , but a lot of the times it will backfire , out the exhaust , is better after it warms up but this isnt going to fly when snow hits , i want to help him fix it hope nothing major i had a back fusion 1 month ago so i am limited on helping a lot changed the plugs had a friend go through the carbs not sure if he set the air screw right idles fine lost at this tim any ideas would be great , sled seems to be running real rich , may just be me i havent had a sled in 15 years so i may be way off

·
Registered
16 Posts
My friend has an 86 pantera, with pretty much the same problems. If we figure anything out I'll let you know. We think that the spark might be cutting out. Keep us posted if you find the problem.

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
What do theplugs look like after running it? They should be dark brown in color and dry. If they are wet and oily black, it's either the carbs are not set correctly, or an ignition problem.

·
four gear pinned
1,991 Posts
are the carbs synced? one of my friends had a similar problem, as it turned out the timming key was half shered off.we tried to jet that thing for like 2 days and finily we found it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts