Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still going thru this old 92 Indy 500 sp efi. This morning I pulled off the skis to do alignment stuff. The skis are platic, i DC o not believe they sre original. There is a name "camoplast" i think.

Do these last forever? The bottoms of these look far from new, some cuts in them along withbthe wear bars have seen better days. Question is reuse them or discard them.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Camoplast are nice skis. I have several seasons on both sets of mine, including one set that has been on 4 different Polaris sleds including a '92 Indy 500 EFI. You replace the wear bars with carbides. Standard is 6" up to 96 studs. And no they are not original, original was steel and you do not want those back on they will add about 30lbs on average to the front end. It will end up feeling heavier and less responsive when steering.

Replace the carbides and leave them be. I have the carbide numbers somewhere as they use a ski-doo carbide on them because of the bolt holes. I can get you the numbers and post them for you in the next few days when I have time to look for them. Also mine have a few scratches in them that is to be expected with trail use.

Also if you want to replace the skis it isn't that bad since you have the mounting kits already. You can find those skis as a set for around 120 dollars sometimes complete with new mounting kit and carbides for 180-230 depending on the season.

·
Super Moderator
17,165 Posts
Camoplast is definitely after-market. Your sled probably had steel skis on it when new. I would keep using them, just replace the wearbars. If the mounting gets beat up or there is significant damage, new bars make them act pretty much like new. Consider getting wearbars with at least 4" of carbide insert to help with steering (go 6" if the track is studded.)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Even without studs on that same sled when I got it I ran 6" of carbide after running 4" and the difference was night and day. Made that little difference when steering.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camoplast are nice skis. I have several seasons on both sets of mine, including one set that has been on 4 different Polaris sleds including a '92 Indy 500 EFI. You replace the wear bars with carbides. Standard is 6" up to 96 studs. And no they are not original, original was steel and you do not want those back on they will add about 30lbs on average to the front end. It will end up feeling heavier and less responsive when steering.

Replace the carbides and leave them be. I have the carbide numbers somewhere as they use a ski-doo carbide on them because of the bolt holes. I can get you the numbers and post them for you in the next few days when I have time to look for them. Also mine have a few scratches in them that is to be expected with trail use.

Also if you want to replace the skis it isn't that bad since you have the mounting kits already. You can find those skis as a set for around 120 dollars sometimes complete with new mounting kit and carbides for 180-230 depending on the season.
I would appreachiate the numbers when you locate them. Want to get the correct ones. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Yeah give me a few days as I have to find the numbers for them either here or have my dad find them at his house. Last set I bought I got on eBay over the summer made by Woody's a 8" carbide set for 38 dollars on clearance. Never hurts to go bigger on carbides just smaller. But 6" works great on up to 96 studs i just bought that since it was so cheap otherwise I would have replaced them with a 6" carbide set again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts