Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have resently been watching alot of videos of people riding there snowmobiles like jet-skis!! i was at first like no way. and i started to do research on it!! They call it skipping and a guy went like 101 miles and had to stop cause he ran out of gas!!! Thats crazy! Well my dad and i would like to try it but we dont know if there are any mods of special techniques???? I think it wouuld be awesome to do PLz Post!.. Thx Brandon

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
Some sled don't handle well in the water. DON'T TRY IT. If it is in the winter, you could sink and get hypothermia, and in severe cases, die. You could ruin a nice sled. I have seen more videos of them sinking rather that going.

·
Registered
328 Posts
yeah pretty much a snowmobile has enough surface area on the ground that as long as it can keep faster then 35 or so it will ride on top, (theres exceptions fro long tracks and other stuff of course too)

but if you do decide to try it, make sure you have plenty of room, and just pin it and lean back. best idea is to not try it on a lake your firsdt couple times, shallow rivers or ponds would be better. and just in case. tie a long rope to the back bumper of the sled, it can get dragged through the water and not affect anyhting, bu be there in case you need it

·
Reverend Dennis
786 Posts
yeah pretty much a snowmobile has enough surface area on the ground that as long as it can keep faster then 35 or so it will ride on top, (theres exceptions fro long tracks and other stuff of course too)

but if you do decide to try it, make sure you have plenty of room, and just pin it and lean back. best idea is to not try it on a lake your firsdt couple times, shallow rivers or ponds would be better. and just in case. tie a long rope to the back bumper of the sled, it can get dragged through the water and not affect anyhting, bu be there in case you need it
DO NOT just fool hardly try it. Most of the sleds that you see running on water have at MIN 1.25-1.50 paddle tracks on them. It is fun as heck but also dangerous as heck as well

You DO NOT need to PIN it to the bars, what happens if you need more throttle and there is none? keep speed over 40 and you should be good, even with a small .75 lug track.

You have to keep the track speed up, not the speedo speed. Keep the track spinning and you will be ok. If you try it, like hawkster said, pick a pond something shallow!

·
TRH- Troll Raising Hell
6,124 Posts
I have done it numerous times before. Plenty of fun!

My good buddy is also a professional diver and is licensed to do recoveries like that. He doesn't do it for a living, but you never know when it could come in handy.

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
theres actually some science behind driving a sled on water! first of all, lets look at the densities of water compared to snow. Water==very dense. snow==about 8% the density of water. Therefore, you are actually getting way better traction on water than in snow. So that explains how you can accelerate so well on water.
Now, the hydroplane effect, once you get up to a certain speed relative to the weight, the weight is supported by a dynamic lift, rather than it's buoyancy. pretty interesting stuff!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
theres actually some science behind driving a sled on water! first of all, lets look at the densities of water compared to snow. Water==very dense. snow==about 8% the density of water. Therefore, you are actually getting way better traction on water than in snow.
problem is that you are comparing a liquid to a solid. Applies to oranges, densities don't apply... I can stand on a piece of aerogel, which has roughly the same density as air. You also have to take into account that you are driving on packed snow. The more you pack it down, the more weight it will support. Water has no such redeeming feature, you will go straight to the bottom. (place a sled on 20 ft deep snow, it will sink in but won't go 20 ft straight down. Pretty sure it will in water though!)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Water skipping takes power. More than it takes to ride on snow. However, the one time record holder rode a stock 1971 399 Olympic with short gears sans windshield and seat. I talked to him after a show he and some guys put on in the 80s. He wasn't particularly fast and could turn almost on a dime. He had a dead-man tether so if he went under he could kill the engine before it went completely under . Hydro-lock breaks rods.

When I watched, he did go under. He was running laps around a 200'x50' man made island. Between the island and shore was only 20' wide on one end. He came around the corner and a recovery diver was right in his way. He sank while avoiding him. Guy was not happy.

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Water skipping takes power. More than it takes to ride on snow. However, the one time record holder rode a stock 1971 399 Olympic with short gears sans windshield and seat. I talked to him after a show he and some guys put on in the 80s. He wasn't particularly fast and could turn almost on a dime. He had a dead-man tether so if he went under he could kill the engine before it went completely under . Hydro-lock breaks rods.

When I watched, he did go under. He was running laps around a 200'x50' man made island. Between the island and shore was only 20' wide on one end. He came around the corner and a recovery diver was right in his way. He sank while avoiding him. Guy was not happy.
Sorry, what exactly are you talking about? :laugh:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya my plan on trying it is.. We have a about 18 foot by 200 foot pond in our subdivision it is like ten foot deap 15 max. so i wanted to wait till summer cause my sled(94 formula 583 with clutch kit) needs some work anyways it maxes out at about 70 mph now and it should go about 100 i am a lightweight and it has a really good track. so this summer i wanted to try it the 15 foot gap first lol and if i can get that ill go for the full length.. and cause i try it in the summer if i sink it i wont get hypothermia.. :) which is a good thing. and i will have time to fix it by winter!... :) thats the plan in the nut shell... lolLOLOL

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts
Ya my plan on trying it is.. We have a about 18 foot by 200 foot pond in our subdivision it is like ten foot deap 15 max. so i wanted to wait till summer cause my sled(94 formula 583 with clutch kit) needs some work anyways it maxes out at about 70 mph now and it should go about 100 i am a lightweight and it has a really good track. so this summer i wanted to try it the 15 foot gap first lol and if i can get that ill go for the full length.. and cause i try it in the summer if i sink it i wont get hypothermia.. :) which is a good thing. and i will have time to fix it by winter!... :) thats the plan in the nut shell... lolLOLOL
Yes, wait until summer! There is some risk of overheating, (but then again, there's the risk of sinking too.. :laugh:) but a dunking is much more pleasant when it's warm out.

Don't keep at it too long though, or you might get a visit from law enforcement!

You might have to do a little carb tuning to get your sled to run good in the summer.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Here's a thought... try using your sled for what it's intended for. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody can't find plenty of satisfaciton riding on snow.

·
ride till your broke
2,560 Posts
Here's a thought... try using your sled for what it's intended for. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anybody can't find plenty of satisfaciton riding on snow.
^^^amen^^^
i have never seen a jetski on a trail yet.
lets keep it that way.:D

·
Terrain Dominator
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow!!! They we're launching!!! In that video!! That's crazy!! Um ya my sled isn't running 100 percent I hope it the carbs and not the fuel pumps could it be the belt too? I don't know what to look at with the belt. And the reason we do this is to be on edge I mean y do we going 100 mph across snow or in a car or on water? ? Cause its life threatening and is FUN LOLOLOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.