Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 MXZ 600 with 1500 miles and this is the second blown motor. Seems like I get about 700 miles per engine, completely stock sled. Anyway my question is, I split the crankcase to change seals. I found inner PTO bearing felt a little rough (which was new last rebuild, so I thought) and ordered 2 PTO bearings.(In fear I would f-up the outer pulling it to get to the inner) Noticed the the outer bearing is sealed on both sides and is packed in grease, what kind of grease shoud I pack the new bearing with? And does anyone know how to tell the thickness of the base gasket by the holes in the center?

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
In theory, the inners use the 2 stroke mix to lubricate the bearings, but see what your dealer suggests. He'll know what to use for grease, if any. I'd try to solve the 700 mi per engine problem first...Sounds like it wasn't oiling enough.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I posted a similar answer to this in the forums on a 670. I havent seen grease on any bearings, maybe prelube. The theory of 2 stroke is the oil gas mix has the lube it needs and some is fed to the vitals of the engine. Thats why sometimes you hear someone blowin a hole in their cases. Its easier to illustrate this on a weedwacker due to ease of disassembly. If the grease is packed into the bearing it forms a seal or locks out the oil from passing through. Atleast your getting 700 out of it. My buddy hardly got anything from his. The only lube that should be used is a good 2stroke, most use synthetic, oil for lube and the proper fuel/oil mix during breakin without getting on it hard or high rpms for a tank or 2.

·
got snow?
93 Posts
they are sealed bearings the grease is supposed to be in the mag side and pto side bearings on series 3 rotax engines did you buy the sled new because (not totally sure on this)but in 2001 0r 2002 they went to these bearings to try and stop the oiling problem of the outside bearings. And im pretty sure thats what you get now if you need to replace them. As far as getting only 700 miles and its the crank bearings going i would have the crank checked to see if its still true. because if its bent it'll keep taking bearings out. just my 2 cents.

·
Sn0pro7
134 Posts
2 tanks of gas for break in time huh? is your sled supposed to lack power until its broken in and you can really open it up?

·
Sled Of The Month Judge
2,841 Posts
^ yes, 2 tanks for break in, and it lacks power because the break in seats the rings and wears them to the cylinder. You will not have full compression until the break in time is up. Opening it up before it is broken in can hurt the engine life and is not good until it is broken in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts