Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this engine, i bought it yesterday and I decided to clean out the carbs tonight and to my surprise there was antifreeze in them... or at least it looked and kinda smelled like antifreeze. I've seen online stale 2 stroke mixture can be pretty gnarly and look like antifreeze. Is the engine totaled if it has antifreeze in the cylinders or can I replace all the gaskets and piston rings and be all good?!?!

·
Super Moderator
16,700 Posts
If antifreeze filled the lower end, there is a good chance that the bearings have suffered. Antifreeze in the cylinders could possibly cause some rust/damage to the piston rings, as well. The pistons/cylinders should be ok with it, but any steel in the engine can have issues with long term exposure to antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If the engine was pulled out and all you have is the engine, it could simply be that they pulled the hose off the head and it spilled into the intake. The hose is right above the intake. Typical procedure for removing the engine is:

1. Remove Airbox and muffler
2. Remove Carbs.
3. Disconnect hoses.

So with the carbs gone and the hose right above the intake, it is really common for people to just pull the hose off and spill all the coolant from the top down onto the intake. I always put a rag down to cover the intakes when removing the hoses.

What is the plans for this motor? You might just get a new gasket set ($50) and pull the head off and replace all the O-rings. If you know the compression is 130-130 or better, then I wouldn't pull the cylinders off. I'd probably get some cheap 2 stroke oil and just fill the crank crank case up and let it sit for a day. Shake it up and then drain it.

Depending on your plans for the motor though, that would dictate what I would do if it were me. For example, if you're going to put this in an Ultralight, then rebuild the whole thing. If you're putting it in a snowmobile, then just do the gasket set.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that’s what I was thinking, just replace all the gaskets and piston rings. the guy told me the compression was 150 in each but I highly doubt it is that perfect but it does feel like good compression just by trying to turn the axle. the plan for this motor is to put it on my shifter kart, so that’s gonna be fun trying to mount that. And also I have heard that snowmobile engines run hot so in the summer you should lean out the fuel oil mixture? Or should I just place the radiators in a good spot. I mean the engine will have air running over it since it’ll be side mounted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing I wanted to go over is the primer/choke, my carbs don’t have any kind of primer on it since it’s only an engine, the guy I bought it from told me that I could find a single carb setup with a choke and I wasn’t really sure how all that would work or if it was even possible.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Decent radiator should be enough. I'd start with default jetting and just check the spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Depends on what it is now. If it is already 130-130 or more, full rebuild won't do much.

main thing a full rebuild will do you is give you piece of mind. You can check the bearings and seals that way.

If the motor was ran with coolant sloshing around down there, it can cause damage to the bearings, like BC_Dan said.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah the main reason I thought of doing a rebuild was because I heard a crunch when I turned the drive shaft, so I looked in through the intake inlets and there’s sunflower seeds in the crank case.... so I feel like I should get those out.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Bet a Sunflower seed could wreak havoc on a seal. Better split the crank if you want peace of mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts