Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Ski-Doo Escapade 500cc, Snowmobile.
I need to change the Chain Case oil as its black.
What should I get as the original Ski-Doo PN 4138019 doesn't turn up online.
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Any synthetic snowmobile chaincase oil will work. Klotz makes some, amsoil makes it as do all the snowmobile manufactures. They have just updated the part numbers is all. Personally I use AMSOIL in everything I own including the chaincase but any of the above will work just fine. It doesn't always have to be OEM just as long as it meets manufactures requirements which all that stuff does these days.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not a fan of ATF myself. ATF is hydraulic fluid and lubrication is only a secondary consideration. Regular old gear oil is cheaper/better and designed for the job. Look at what 4x4 transfer cases require, it isn't ATF. A snowmobile chain case and a 4x4 transfer case are pretty much the same things, just sized differently.

·
Super Moderator
17,144 Posts
I think you could run Wesson oil in a chaincase and it wouldn't matter much ;) I've known folks that use motor oil, gear oil, ATF, and I have even used 2-stroke oil to get a sled back to the trailer. I prefer chaincase fluid, but in a pinch, as long as there's something oily in there, that's what counts. Thinner oils like chaincase oil and ATF better penetrate the links of the chain for better lubrication, though.

Klotz is good stuff, good choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts