Snowmobile Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Ski-Doo Safari LX with a completely toasted engine (447cc). I have been looking for a replacement engine and cannot seem to find a cheap bolt-in replacement. I have just located a complete older trashed Artic Cat 440cc sled (early 80's I think) with a good engine for mad cheap money and I am thinking of swapping this engine into my Ski-Doo. Other than modifying the mounting plate to line up the clutches, what sort of problems might I encounter? Will the clutches be compatable with the same belt? Does this sound like a reasonable venture? Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.
Judson

·
I am Spartacus
23,863 Posts
Besides the mounting of the engine, you need to change all of the wiring harness plugs to match your SkiDoo, which may or may not have all the same wiring you need. Plus, do your oil injector and throttle cables work the same way? I think it would be too Mickey Mouse of a job to get to be reliable. You should find another ski doo motor for it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND A GOOD USED ENGINE FOR THAT
SLED THEY MADE ALOT OF SLEDS WITH THAT ENGINE AND MOST ENGINES OUTLIVED THE CHASSIS AND YOU WOULD NOT NEED TO
MODIFY ANYTHING.

GOOD LUCK!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts