Snowmobile Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandmother was listening to her fire/police scanner yesterday and told me that where they live a young man was snowmobiling, and was killed after riding into a wire fence. I have heard this situation several times before from other people. Im an EMT and a Fireman, and trust me it is gut wrenching to have to see and deal with that, Especially when it involves my passion of snowmobiles. What im trying to say is: if your riding in fields or unfamiliar land take it easy and keep your eyes open, and just be cautious. I hate hearing these stories and just want everyone to stay safe and enjoy the season.

Happy Riding

·
Sconnie
1,745 Posts
Agreed. I hear those reports every year of people hitting fences, and getting seriously hurt or decapitated.
Scariest thing happened to me last year, I traded sleds with my buddy for a couple minutes, and at one point I look over at him to see him flying straight towards where I knew was a fenceline. Well, he comes over the crest of the hill, sees it 20 yards in front of him, and that was where I lost sight of him. Till I see the sled 50 yards away without a rider.

I gun it over there to find him running to my sled to make sure it was ok. The fence hit him straight in the chest and just pulled him straight off the machine. He was lucky. I didn't give a shite about my sled at that point, I was just glad he still had a head on his shoulders, but it turned out it only busted the windshield. That incident sure scared me though!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutly man, snowmobiling is always going to have risks, (being that we ride like nuts sometimes) but the fence thing is a nightmare. Its really bad when riding through farm fields that are new or you are just takinga short cut. It really bums me out, I always think of the sleds as stress reliever not what happens in these stories.

·
Alex
3,385 Posts
One of my friends tells a story of when he was up riding in the UP some crazy farmer just put a THICK chain across the middle of the trail, no reflectors or nothing, just the chain. They were going at a decent speed, but they caught it in time (for the most part). The first two sleds slammed the brakes, bumped each other, both rear skids swung out and threw the riders a few feet. The next two sleds swung hard right and took the 'baha' through the plowed field to the right bouncing all over. And my friend, last, managed to see it coming and slow down in time......

That's the last thing needed on the MARKED trails, but just imagine if they had been going just a bit faster, or riding at night. Then there definitely would've been injuries.

·
Snowmobile Freak!!!!!
224 Posts
My grandmother was listening to her fire/police scanner yesterday and told me that where they live a young man was snowmobiling, and was killed after riding into a wire fence. I have heard this situation several times before from other people. Im an EMT and a Fireman, and trust me it is gut wrenching to have to see and deal with that, Especially when it involves my passion of snowmobiles. What im trying to say is: if your riding in fields or unfamiliar land take it easy and keep your eyes open, and just be cautious. I hate hearing these stories and just want everyone to stay safe and enjoy the season.

Happy Riding
WOW!!!!!!! I just got my windshield literally cut tonight by a wired fence and it also did damage to the plastic right about my headlight. I was very lucky GOD was looking over me because I got the sled stopped before the wire got me. I will post pics on this thread tomorrow when I get off work to show everyone the damage!!!!!

Where can I get a new windshield???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
28 Posts
Back home there is an old abandoned mental care facility and on the road side of the property they put up a 1/2" steel cable at about chest height to keep out people on atvs and a while back someone on a snowmobile got decapitated by it. The government then promptly tied yellow plastic bags to the cable, that doesn't seem quite sufficient to me. Luckily noone else has been killed by it as far as I know, probobly cause its a small town and everyone knows the story and where it is. I'll keep my eyes wide open this year, thanks for the warning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts